Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

regenerating Utils files

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

GaxUser
Weather Station: davis vp2
Operating System: windows

regenerating Utils files

Post by GaxUser »

I seem to have a small problem. I set up CumulusUtils a while ago, and all was working. Now I notice that certain things are not being updated, NOAA reports, records, etc.. they all stopped about a year ago. I can see the reports in the admin interface, the reports are copied to the reports folder on the public website. It seems the Utils\noaa.txt file does not get updated. If I edit this file by hand e.g change

} else if ( tmpValue == 2022) {
$('#07, #08, #09, #10, #11, #12').prop('disabled', true);
}

to

} else if ( tmpValue == 2023) {
}

It works. I can't seem to figure out how these files get updated. Can anyone help me?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: regenerating Utils files

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Do you have the correct settings included in your \CumulusMX\cumulusutils.ini?
My Reports are uploaded by CumulusMX to remote /Reports
and my cumulusutils.ini has

Code: Select all

[NOAA]
FTPDirectory=./Reports/
StartInCurrentMonth=true
ColorNOAAText=Black
ColorNOAABackground=#f9f8EB
Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

GaxUser wrote: Wed 28 Jun 2023 11:33 pm I seem to have a small problem. I set up CumulusUtils a while ago, and all was working. Now I notice that certain things are not being updated, NOAA reports, records, etc.. they all stopped about a year ago. I can see the reports in the admin interface, the reports are copied to the reports folder on the public website. It seems the Utils\noaa.txt file does not get updated. If I edit this file by hand e.g change

} else if ( tmpValue == 2022) {
}

to

} else if ( tmpValue == 2023) {
}

It works. I can't seem to figure out how these files get updated. Can anyone help me?
Please do run once without thrifty:

utils bin/cumulusutils.exe website
and then could you post the logfile for the daily website run?
Could you give the link to your site (or put it in the map)?
Are you running CUtils daily through the scheduler?

NOTE: you are not supposed to edit the generated files, if you think that is necessary then definitely something is not working.

Thanks,
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
GaxUser

Post by GaxUser »

Thanks that fixed it. But I have a few questions.
Is there anything built into utils to do this or do I need to set up my own scheduler (e.g. task Scheduler)?

I think I added my self to the map but I don't show up in the User Map. Does this happen at some later point or do I need to do more than add my website to the ini? (and Participant=true)

I use en-US but all the dates are using some other culture e.g. 29/06/23 vs 06/29/23. Can this be fixed on my end?
HansR

Post by HansR »

GaxUser wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 5:55 pm Thanks that fixed it. But I have a few questions.
OK. I now see you on the map indeed. See below.
GaxUser wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 5:55 pm
Is there anything built into utils to do this or do I need to set up my own scheduler (e.g. task Scheduler)?
You have to use the schedule of your OS (preferred, I assume windows) or you can use the external program feature of CMX.

Once per 24 hrs you run:

utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe thrifty website
Once per uploadinterval you run:

utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe sysinfo UserAskedData UserReports
We may get back to this once I see your site.
GaxUser wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 5:55 pm I think I added my self to the map but I don't show up in the User Map. Does this happen at some later point or do I need to do more than add my website to the ini? (and Participant=true)
You have to fill in the site URL in parameter Website in section [Maps] in the file cumulusutils.ini. When done it will be added to the map automatically but with a delay of 24 hrs (max): the signature file is sent only once per 24 hrs.

[EDIT:] And it definitely helps if you add a forum signature with a link to your site so on the forum all who would like to help have immediate access to your site.
GaxUser wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 5:55 pm I use en-US but all the dates are using some other culture e.g. 29/06/23 vs 06/29/23. Can this be fixed on my end?
CUtils is completely independent of the machine locale and of the locale setting used by CMX. If any issue there: ask.

You have to fill in en-US in the Language parameter in section [General] of the inifile. To have everything working well you will need to upgrade to version 6.19.0 which has just been released. When updated you need to run once without the thrifty qualifier to have everything working correctly.

NOTE: There is a specific part of the Wiki dedicated to CUtils, you can find it here (the index). It may take some reading but most can be found there. The best page to start is here. If any questions: ask, if anything wrong, unclear or incomplete: please report.
Hans

GaxUser

Post by GaxUser »

Thanks updating everything fixed most of the issues. But one last question if I may.
The gauges stopped working in the utils web page (they still work in the MX page). realtime.txt is being updated.
HansR

Post by HansR »

GaxUser wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 11:13 pm Thanks updating everything fixed most of the issues. But one last question if I may.
The gauges stopped working in the utils web page (they still work in the MX page). realtime.txt is being updated.
For me the gauges are working fine. The realtime.txt has no effect on the gauges, that is the realtimegauges.txt. Could you try a ctrl-F5 (refresh the cache).

And I have a question about your location: I see you are in Oregon bordering on a large forested area. Is that the area which had severe wildfires last year (this year)? Is the area particularly interesting for the fire weather indicator (I notice a large rain deficit in your area)?
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

And I see your solar is not working. If you don't have a solar sensor, you can switch that off by setting

ShowUV=false
ShowSolar=false
in the section [Website]. As a result that pane will disappear the next time CUtils is run.

If you wish to configure the site further, check out the menu system 2 and the ChartsCompiler.
Hans

GaxUser

Post by GaxUser »

Excellent, thanks. Clearing the cache fixed the gauges, and I've turned off Solar for now. I'll definitely look into the various configuration options.

Regarding the location. The recent big fires were father inland (or father south, closer to California). Western Oregon has a large valley separating a coastal mountain range and a much larger range (the cascades). The fires were on the western flanks of the cascades. I live on the eastern side of the coastal range. Being in a Mediterranean climate, we get a lot of rain in the winter and very dry summers. Being so close to the ocean the coast range stays cooler and gets much more winter moisture. It used to be the risk of fires in this area would be more from grass fires in the valley, but times are changing.
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK. Thanks for explaining the geography and fire risk.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi,

Because of the issues above I checked the site a few times and noted that the schedules runs apparently again stopped working.
Did you switch it off or anything I can advise?
Hans