Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Auto starting CumulusMX Debian RPi

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

bzncrew
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win 7

Re: Auto starting CumulusMX Debian RPi

Post by bzncrew »

Pete,
I use Filezilla for FTP. Your suggestion to use a GUI FTP client as an "explorer" is excellent. Much easier to see a directory tree graphically, although I'm not afraid of the command prompt, it's nice to see the full picture. I actually use WinSCP command line at several client sites. It works great to schedule automated transfers via scripting.

Webmin is a gem! Wow! That is a fantastic tool. I installed VNC to get to the GUI, but this has so much more power. It also really helps show what CRON is up to. Thanks!
I'm going to use this on my other PI that I bought to create an Apple Airplay device that I hope to eventually plug into a Russound system connected to a HA system. It would also be cool to integrate my Cumulus PI into all of that.

Pete, you should write a book on automation and electronic gadgetry. I've seen some of your stuff at Cocoontech and you have a great way of explaining things. I've yet to find a decent book on the subject that would guide a newbie through the steps. Or at least put up a blog of all your systems.

--Russ
pete_c wrote:@bzncrew

To ease the transition over to Linux install WinSCP on your wintel computer.

WinSCP can be downloaded here: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

This if the main page of the Webmin GUI. I use it to update the RPi2 and to keep tabs on it.

BTW with Webmin you can add an autostart script, disable or enable it from autostarting, create a cron job and do the same with that via the Webmin GUI. No Putty / SSH / WinSCP involved as the Webmin application knows exactly where the scripts belong.
webmin.jpg
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

GUI alternative

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xrdp
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

@Russ

I like automation tinkering and have sort of documented my stuff. I use FileZilla here to. I like that I can mix my Automation stuff in multiple OS's today. (Linux, Microsoft, Android and Apple).

Yup I frequently posts on Cocoontech and have done a few DIY Blogs there.

I am not really good at touchscreen design (it is low on the WAF). Here is one though that combines two Cumulus weather stations and other stuff...it runs on a modded capacitance touchscreen tablet in embedded windows.
CumulusX2.jpg
Unrelating to OP here utilize two Russound CAA66's and one old AB8SS for 12+8 sound zones. I split the single RS-232 port of the Russound to two via a serial server such that I manage it via the OmniPro Omnitouch stuff, Russound keypads and automation software touchscreens. You can integrate whatever media source these days. IE: you can do a mini Squeezebox player / KODI on an RPi2 and remote control it via the automation software. Stuff is really old and just keeps working fine year after year.

Did document a kiosk self serve system (while developing it) making it plug n play while working for an airline many years ago. (and sort of did the same for initial bank ATM deployements many many years ago).

Took about 5 years to get it right before deployment. Imagine running 4000 terminal host sessions on one middle tier box and then putting the self serve kiosks all over the world...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Pete
Automator
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

bzncrew wrote:
jank wrote:Hi
Why don't you try out this Start stop Script?
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

Also if you don't want to use it, there is also an explanation how you can add a Cron Job which is starting a script at system boot.
Jank,
That script is perfect. The instructions are actually quite clear. I think all the switch options make me think it wasn't what I needed. Perfect.

So now I see that CRON is my friend. Lots of stuff you can do with it. Very powerful.

--Russ
Yes, at a first glance, this thing looks to complicated with all these possible parameters. But if you run this script without any parameters, it will start CumulusMX (as a screen session) and if CumulusMX is already running, it stops it. this was in the very first beginning and than, I read herei n the forum, what people with a Raspberry are still missing, Backup Optiopn, Update Option etc and more an more parameters are being addded.
For example: You can create a cronjob, with parameter (-b -z) which will create a backup of the complete CumulusMX folder once per week, or whenever you like.
or -l show some of the important logfiles. and....more to come ....
Currently I am working on new Parameters to end CumulusMX cleanly and shutdown or reboot the system.......this was a request from one user.
So I am still adding more options in the next version :-)
Jan
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907