Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Com port

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Com port

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

I am unable to locate a com port that will work with my Vantage Vue i have tried from 1 to 6 with no luck, I was using Davis weatherlink and it was operating on Com port 1, i have disconnected weatherlink can anybody give me any suggestions as to what I can do now.
Regards

Brian
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Com port

Post by steve »

If it was working on COM 1 with Weatherlink, that's the port it should work on with Cumulus. That's presumably a 'real' serial port, and you have a serial logger?

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll take a look.
Steve
mermaidbeachweather

steve wrote:If it was working on COM 1 with Weatherlink, that's the port it should work on with Cumulus. That's presumably a 'real' serial port, and you have a serial logger?

Hi Steve,
Please excuse me i am not that computor savy, I have closed Davis Weatherlink, I am using a UISB connection to my computor using the Davis data Logger which came with the Weaherlink software, I have downloaded Cummulus put in all the neccessary information by using Dan from Brisbane weather and it still comes up with and error when I try to find a com port.

Any advice bit lost here
Brian
b.e.wilson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by b.e.wilson »

In Cumulus/Configuration/Station, make sure that Serial is selected in the VP Type section. If WeatherLink used COM1 to communicate with the console, then you should use the same com port in the Settings section of the same configuration screen. The drivers that most of us have will default to COM6 as the serial port the console connects to, so it's unusual that yours is on COM1.

Post back if it doesn't work. Or if it does.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It sounds like you are using the logger in USB mode, rather than with COM1. As Bruce says, it's very unusual for a virtual serial port to be COM1. To run third-party software with a USB logger, you have to get it out of USB mode and install the Virtual Serial Port drivers. There's a good post in this thread about this: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5574
Steve
mermaidbeachweather

b.e.wilson wrote:In Cumulus/Configuration/Station, make sure that Serial is selected in the VP Type section. If WeatherLink used COM1 to communicate with the console, then you should use the same com port in the Settings section of the same configuration screen. The drivers that most of us have will default to COM6 as the serial port the console connects to, so it's unusual that yours is on COM1.

Post back if it doesn't work. Or if it does.
Hi Bruce, nice to talk, I am at abit of a loss at the moment, I checked all the settings that the froum has suggested, weatherlink is not operating as i have checked any incoming data. the data logger comes from the console and plugs directly into the rear of the hard drive. Also the console is still receiving data from the ISS. I will hopefully speak to Dan at brisbane live weather and he may have a soloution, just at the moment its very frustrating.

Cheers

Brian
Mermaid Beach QLD Australia
mermaidbeachweather

steve wrote:If it was working on COM 1 with Weatherlink, that's the port it should work on with Cumulus. That's presumably a 'real' serial port, and you have a serial logger?

Hi Steve,

Here is all my settings that I have activated in Cummulus:
Station type Vanatage Vue settings Com port 1, use bearing zero when calm, cal 10 min wind avg, cal wind chill, synch davis clock to pc, use data logger, cummulus pressure trend, VP 1-min Bar update,
program settings, confirm shutdown, stop 2nd instance, restart if un-plugged.
VP Type, serial.
Units wind kmh, pressure hpa, temp C, rainfall mm, rainfall season january,
location 28 34 South153 43 east, Altitude 20m.
logs rollover at midnight, 9am rollover, use 10am in Summer
Data log interval 15 mins
Low 980 H 1040

i hope you can understand this as I am unsure on how to zip up the diags folder and attach it

regards

Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

COM port 1 is almost certainly wrong. You are most likely running Weatherlink in USB mode, and it is not using COM port 1, it is driving the USB directly. You need to follow the instructions that I linked to.
Steve
Sunfish
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Sunfish »

I have had no issues with my Virtual Serial Port Driver, which defaults to COM port 3, and I haven't touched it since set up.
mermaidbeachweather

steve wrote:COM port 1 is almost certainly wrong. You are most likely running Weatherlink in USB mode, and it is not using COM port 1, it is driving the USB directly. You need to follow the instructions that I linked to.
Hi Steve

After a long an very frustrating session and also a very patient Dan from Brisbane Live weather he sorted the problem out, very impressed, the next step I guess will be to get the site on line?

Regards

Brian
Mermaid beach
Qld Australia :P :clap:
Squibman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE with USB DLog
Operating System: XP Pro SPs

Post by Squibman »

Hi Brian,
Have similar problems that you had, any advice would be most useful
Roger
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Roger, if your problem that you have your logger in 'USB express' mode, have you tried the instructions in this thread - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5574
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Roger, just a couple of questions:

Which type of adapter are you using to connect the weather console to the computer - three types are available, the WeatherLink serial adapter, the WeatherLink USB adapter and the the WeatherLinkIP adapter.

Before you installed the WeatherLink software, did you take the time to read the installation procedures in the help file?

I am not trying to be difficult here but...

Somewhere in the "Communications Port Settings" page of the documentation, there is a blue-box warning message that reads: "Note: If you are using third party software that emulates a com port DO NOT choose this option. Click Cancel below then select Serial instead".

For most new weather station operators, that warning is not very meaningful, it is even confusing... One would think "I have a USB adapter then I have to select the USB option" which in most cases would be wrong...

Follow the link provided by Steve in the previous message. If you have more questions, if you become more confused, come back and post what you have done and the results...
Squibman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE with USB DLog
Operating System: XP Pro SPs

Post by Squibman »

Thanks Steve & Ray, annoyed with myself for not realising that I had installed weather link and then found Cumulus three days later so already the USB data logger was set to USB.
I have since corrected that and now Cumulus is talking to the computer OK.

Next I need to connect to my website and having a little trouble hear.
I use Serif WebPlus X5 software for the website (www.medwayyachtclub.com) which I just post to FTP Surfer (Whisper Technology Ltd) and that gets it onto the wweb.
I have tried to set up the website configuration in Cumulus but get error message 'FTP connect error' error code 11004.
I have made a directory (weather) in FTP Surfer and copied the files needed to this including making image directory within this directory.
I am obviously doing something very wrong in configuration and suspect that it's something to do with Host Name ( not sure what I should be putting here) but have tried several combinations, with no luck so far. I am obviously way of track because I don't see an Index.htm entry anywhere either.
I will keep reading the posts on your excellent forum and hopefully find the solutions needed. I haven't put a link in my website to 'weather' for obvious reasons, like it doesn't work yet.
I assume once I manage to get cumulus on line I will be able to adjust the screen images as members will only interested in current wind speed, direction, temp and barometer. Of course it would still be good to have the whole report for those that are interested.
I will keep at it, at my age it's good for keeping the grey matter working.
Best regards
Roger
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Squibman wrote:suspect that it's something to do with Host Name ( not sure what I should be putting here)
It's the name of the ftp server. Use whatever you use in FTP Surfer.
Steve