Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus offered a bug report :)

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
ioxfords16
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Cumulus offered a bug report :)

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve

Thank you for Cumulus - n00b here (Watson W-8681 as an Xmas gift :) ). Cumulus is a wonderful complement to the gift!

Cumulus has stepped up to 100% CPU a couple of times on my laptop, and asked me to submit the attached bug report.

I am running XP Pro at the latest service pack and fix levels. Running on the PC (HP 6125x) at the time was Firefox 3.05 and Outlook 2007

Hope this helps. Best wishes fro teh New year to you and the forum
Cheers
Stef
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus offered a bug report :)

Post by steve »

This is a sharing violation on the temporary file realtimetemp.htm created for 'extra' files with the 'realtime' and 'process' options set. I don't understand why the sharing violation happens as it processes each file one at a time. Do you have more than one file with those options set?

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve

Many thanks for coming back to me on this. I am probably not clever enough to understand ;) , but here is a directory listing of my cumulus folder - only one realtimetmp.htm that I can see

Anything else I can do to help narrow it down?

Cheers
Stef
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

On the 'files' tab of your internet settings, how many extra files have you specified, and what settings do they have?

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve

You may have put your finger on it :) If this is noise on the forum, please let me know and I will PM you rather than pollute the forum with my lack of knowledge!

I noticed, when setting Cumulus up, that even though I had checked the boxes for upload standard files and images, my realtime data on the 'gauges' tab was not being updated.

However when uploading realtime.txt as a file (along with sunbird.txt) all seemed to update fine

I had not realised that I had caused a 'double dipping' conflict in the code

Should I be clearing the 'upload standard files' box to avoid that conflict, or is there something else I should do to get the web update to put realtime.txt up there?

Many thanks
Stef
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'd rather have discussion here, so it's here for others to refer to.

To get the standard realtime.txt file uploaded, you just need to tick 'enable realtime', you don't need to add it to the list of files - it sounds as though this is what you have done?

I have to admit, though, that I don't really understand why it causes this problem in the first place! I think I will change the code so that it doesn't use the same temporary file name for each file, even though in theory there shouldn't be a conflict.

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve

Yup - 'enable realtime' is checked.

It seems that I have to have realtime.txt specific as a file to upload to make the real time display work

I have tried all the options - If I remove it from the list of files to upload, and check the options, delete before upload, or rename, or use active FTP mode, it makes no difference - still no realtime feed

As soon as I put realtime.txt back as a specific file to upload, all is fine and dandy :)

Cheers
Stef
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It should work (and does for everyone else, including me) without specifying it as an extra file. And in any case, you don't need the 'process' option set for the realtime.txt file (which You have presumably set?), as there's nothing to process. Perhaps your web site is set up in such a way that the normal realtime.txt file isn't going to where whatever is that you're using is expecting it? What is it that doesn't work - the standard real time wind gauges? What's the URL of your web site?

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

" you don't need the 'process' option set for the realtime.txt file2 " ... thank you Steve, now turned off

"Perhaps your web site is set up in such a way that the normal realtime.txt file isn't going to where whatever is that you're using is expecting it?" I have used the standard webfiles directory as distributed by my Cumulus download. The realtime.txt did not seem to get uploaded initially (even the enable realtime checked), hence my adding it as a specific upload. The file is in the root together with the index.htm and files like CumulusRealtime.swf

"What is it that doesn't work - the standard real time wind gauges?" yup - they do not get updated (and the time beneath them does not either) unless I add the realtime.txt file specifically (and I know I am doing something stoopid - just have not been able to see what Steve. Also, please, this si not a big deal - just contributing in case it is useful)

"What's the URL of your web site?" http://kophill.com/weather/gauges.htm

Many thanks!
Stef
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It used to be the case that realtime updating didn't start until you restarted Cumulus, but I fixed that. Other than that I

You say it's not a big deal, but unless you get it working as intended, I think you'll continue to get the crashes with the file sharing error?

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve
I have rebooted a number of times since installing.

Is there anything further I can do to help? If you would like an account on my ISP for testing purposes i could create a directory for you to upload to if that would help

Cheers
Stef
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Turn on the ftp logging, this should produce a realtimeftplog.txt file, that may give some clues.

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

Hi Steve

realtimeftplog attached FYI

Also as a test I shut down cumulus, deleted the realtime.txt file from the web site and restarted cumulys, clicking on the FTP logging

The settings for autoupdate and to enable realitme are checked on cumulus

If I look on the web site there is no realtime.txt being uploaded

Any clues that you can see in the logs?

Cheers
Stef

PS I upload to PWS, CWOPS/APRS and Weather Underground successfully
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, this is presumably the problem:

16:38:34:682 >|553-Can't open that file: No such file or directory|

Although it doesn't tell me which file or directory it's complaining about. The most likely explanation is that you have the wrong ftp directory configured, but what I don't understand is that it's the same as the 'non-realtime' directory, so how are the standard pages uploading correctly - because they do appear to be uploading. I assume you haven't done anything different for the non-realtime pages (index.htm etc)?

Steve
ioxfords16

Post by ioxfords16 »

That is what puzzled me also - as you can see on the site, all other data goes up just fine

No, I did not do anything different - just configured the ftp server and checked the box for realtime updates

When I use the same ftp settings in FileZilla it connects fine also

Glad it was not something obviously stupid that I had done :)

Anything else you want me to try Steve/

S