Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Better screen for the FO temperature sensor box

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

Better screen for the FO temperature sensor box

Post by fractonimbus »

This may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find anything in a quick search.

The plastic "stacked flying saucers" screen used by the FO WH1091 are definitely not good at stopping the temperature sensor from being heated when the sun is shining on it. From looking at my daily temperature traces, there's perhaps 3 degrees C added to the true temperature while the sun is on the unit.

So I was wondering if anyone had thought about it, or better, made an improved version.

I don't have the opportunity to mount a proper Stevenson Screen on my roof, so something like a larger version of the current plastic thingy would be the way to go. I suspect a series of larger concave aluminium disks made to the same pattern might be a good way to go, as aluminium's emissivity in the infra-red is poor, so it should both reflect sunlight well and not re-radiate heat inwards.

Has anyone done anything like this?

DN
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Better screen for the FO temperature sensor box

Post by Gina »

Several of us have made screens from inverted plant pot saucers and/or inverted plastic picnic plates. There are threads in this forum about them. Before I went for a more standard Stevenson screen, this is what I made :-
Screenshot-20.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
artworksmetal
Weather Station: Ambient Weather 2080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by artworksmetal »

I would stick to plastic or wood. Aluminium (hard putting that extra 'i' in there) is an excellent thermal conductor, so it will carry heat inward. Also, I'm betting it will block the transmitter.
A thin layer of reflective paint or foil would accomplish what your suggesting, without the conductive mass. Even the metallic paint may hinder the transmitter, though.

I covered mine with 1/2 of a plastic 5 gallon bucket (with some vent holes drilled). Not sure how effective it is yet. I'll begin experimenting more after it warms up a bit. I bought a cheap solar fan to help circulate the air, but haven't tried it yet.
Art Thompson
Timberville, VA USA

http://www.3866n7874w.net
artworksmetal
Weather Station: Ambient Weather 2080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by artworksmetal »

Wow. That is gorgeous and ingenious. Puts my redneck plastic bucket to shame.
Art Thompson
Timberville, VA USA

http://www.3866n7874w.net
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

artworksmetal wrote:I would stick to plastic or wood. Aluminium (hard putting that extra 'i' in there) is an excellent thermal conductor, so it will carry heat inward. Also, I'm betting it will block the transmitter.
A thin layer of reflective paint or foil would accomplish what your suggesting, without the conductive mass. Even the metallic paint may hinder the transmitter, though.
Good point about the transmitter! It would only fire out the gaps, so the receiver would need to be able to "see" it. OTOH, aluminium would have the benefit of stopping any interference pickup by the transmitter (though not the receiver).

Aluminium (BTW, that was the US spelling, too, until about 1905!) is a good conductor of heat as you say, meaning wind passing over it will cool it quickly (unlike poorer conductors like plastic). But aluminium is a poor emitter of infrared radiation, so re-radiates very inefficiently in the mid to far infrared, which is where the heating of the transmitter would come from. So apart from the transmitter masking, it should work well. Paint or any sort is likely to be better at emitting mid/far infrared so would transfer heat radiatively more efficiently than aluminium.

[Aside: I noticed some decades ago that the aluminium alloy engine block of my Norton Commando motorcycle (that dates me) did not feel hot when I held my fingers close to it, but was in fact very hot (after a burn up through the Adelaide Hills) when I touched it. Then a mosquito flew by, detected the "warm" engine block, landed on it thinking it was "food" and was suddenly frizzed into a dried out husk. It didn't know about infrared emissivities :-) ]

The lesson from that, though, is that in the absence of wind, aluminium things cool slowly.

DN
Last edited by fractonimbus on Sat 05 Mar 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Gina wrote:Several of us have made screens from inverted plant pot saucers and/or inverted plastic picnic plates. There are threads in this forum about them. Before I went for a more standard Stevenson screen, this is what I made :-
Nice elegant design, Gina. Food for thought.

DN
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

fractonimbus wrote:Food for thought.
Boob boom tish! I thank you. :lol:
Last edited by mcrossley on Sat 05 Mar 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gina

Post by Gina »

:lol:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
iceberg
Weather Station: VANTAGE VUE METRIC 2015 MODEL
Operating System: windows 10

Post by iceberg »

fractonimbus wrote:This may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find anything in a quick search.

The plastic "stacked flying saucers" screen used by the FO WH1091 are definitely not good at stopping the temperature sensor from being heated when the sun is shining on it. From looking at my daily temperature traces, there's perhaps 3 degrees C added to the true temperature while the sun is on the unit.

So I was wondering if anyone had thought about it, or better, made an improved version.

I don't have the opportunity to mount a proper Stevenson Screen on my roof, so something like a larger version of the current plastic thingy would be the way to go. I suspect a series of larger concave aluminium disks made to the same pattern might be a good way to go, as aluminium's emissivity in the infra-red is poor, so it should both reflect sunlight well and not re-radiate heat inwards.

Has anyone done anything like this?

DN

Yes i have but with Aluminium tape and it works great.
gbru316
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows Vista X64

Post by gbru316 »

I ended up just using a piece of PVC pipe instead of the standard screen.

I cut a piece of 4" PVC to about 18" long, fitted the bottom with a drain screen (found a 4" slip screen that slid right into the PVC). Then for the top, I used 4" to 3" PVC reducer and a 4" PVC cap.

I mounted a computer fan into the reducer so that it draws air through the bottom of the pipe and pushes it out the top. I used screws to mount the 4" cap onto the 3" reducer so that there is a gap of about 1/2" between the 4" part of the reducer and the bottom of the cap, to allow air to exit the pipe.

Finally, I cut a small hole in the drain screen for the sensor wiring, and just sat the sensor on top of the drain screen, inside the pipe.

I was having temp spikes of 15F+ before using this, now I don't have any spikes at all. Temperature is now consistent with MADIS quality control, whereas before it failed horrible in the mid-afternoon sun.

Here's a quick paint drawing of the shield
Shield.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Very interesting :) I built a conventional Stevenson Screen following experiments with a larger version of the original with a fan which were better but still giving a degree C rise. The Stevenson design is better than half a degree. Much more effort to build though - I like your nice and simple design :)
Gina

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

How about a self-ventilating screen? Along the same lines - though you could use concentric pipes to create a double wall around the sensor area. But make the central pipe quite long, the bottom white, and a section at the top painted black. The idea being to create a chimney effect, the warmed air at the top would rise out, drawing in cooler air at the bottom where the sensor is mounted. You would have to be careful about radiative effects - hence the long pipe to keep the warm section away from sensor.

I have no idea if this would work or not. :lol:
gbru316
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows Vista X64

Post by gbru316 »

mcrossley wrote:How about a self-ventilating screen? Along the same lines - though you could use concentric pipes to create a double wall around the sensor area. But make the central pipe quite long, the bottom white, and a section at the top painted black. The idea being to create a chimney effect, the warmed air at the top would rise out, drawing in cooler air at the bottom where the sensor is mounted. You would have to be careful about radiative effects - hence the long pipe to keep the warm section away from sensor.

I have no idea if this would work or not. :lol:

I tossed this idea around too, but I had a few old computer fans and some 12v transformers laying around, and I figured the active cycling of air would be fool-proof, which is why I used the fan.

The real test will be in a few months when the pipe is exposed to full afternoon sun. I don't foresee any erroneous data points as the sensor is located at the bottom of the pipe, but you never know.
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

Here is the link to the one i made last year
still going stong and getting very good readings

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5023
41south
Weather Station: 1-wire Windblown solution
Operating System: Win XP

Post by 41south »

+1 on Roys design, I built mine a while back and it works great. :clap: I did break a few melamine plates getting the holes cut though :bash: Glad I bought spares :shock: