Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Pro 2 options

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
barnsleynick
Weather Station: Watsons W-8681
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

Davis Vantage Pro 2 options

Post by barnsleynick »

Hi,
Ive been looking at Davis weather stations, more specifically the Davis VP2. I notice that it comes with a whole range of accessories and options, like solar sensors, wireless temperature sensors, soil moisture sensors etc...

Ive been pricing up what I could eventually get when I upgrade my PWS. I noticed that you can get a Davis Envoy, that just links the station to the PC without a console. So would I be able to use that without buying the Weatherlink data logger (USB)? I just want to use it with Cumulus.

This is my current shopping list:
Wireless Davis VP2 ISS (without console)
Wireless Davis Envoy (For use with VP2/VP2 ISS)

On another note, If I bought a VP2 with the console, would I still need a Weatherlink data logger (USB), if I just wanted to link it to the computer and use Cumulus?

Thanks in advance :D
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 options

Post by steve »

Whatever Davis base station you get, it needs the Weatherlink logger (only available in a package with the software) to be able to connect to a PC. I understand that it is possible to buy an Envoy without Weatherlink, but I'm not sure what use that is!
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

I have a Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus ISS with FARS (integrated sensor suite plus UV and solar sensors, with 24-hour fan aspirated radiation shield weather station), a Vantage Pro2 console (receiver and display), a Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy (receiver only - now discontinued) and a Vantage VUE console (receiver and display).

The three receiver units (ie: the Vantage Pro2 console, the Weather Envoy and the Vantage VUE console) ALL REQUIRE (one of) the WeatherLink adapter (data logger) to interface with a computer and be able to download (pass on) the data they capture.

The Wireless Weather Envoy was purchased to be connected/used with a dedicated computer as a complete automated weather station - that older Intel Pentium 4 CPU/Windows XP Pro computer is running Virtual VP (a serial and IP port emulator that allows me to connect up to 8 weather software), Weather Display (my main weather software), WXSIM (an interactive local atmospheric modeling software or my main local forecaster) and the recently added FWI Calculator. The data from the Weather Envoy is passed on to the 'weather' computer via a WeatherLink serial adapter/interface (data logger).

The Wireless Vantage Pro2 console is connected/used on my main/development computer - that Intel Core2 QUAD CPU/Windows 7 Pro computer is also running Virtual VP, Cumulus and the FWI Calculator. When needed, I also run software such as Cumulus Toolbox, ImageSalsa, Virtual Weather Station, VPLive, Weather View 32, WeatherLink, Webcam Publisher, WebcamXP, WXSIM, Yacam, etc. The data from the Vantage Pro2 console is passed on to the 'development' computer via a WeatherLink IP adapter/interface (data logger).

The Wireless Vantage VUE console is also connected/used on my main/development computer. The data from the Vantage VUE console is passed on to the 'development' computer via a WeatherLink USB adapter/interface (data logger).
I noticed that you can get a Davis Envoy, that just links the station to the PC without a console. So would I be able to use that without buying the Weatherlink data logger (USB)? I just want to use it with Cumulus.
As Steve indicated in a previous reply, all Vantage products NEED a WeatherLink adapter (data logger) to interface with a computer.

The Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy is exactly the same unit as the Wireless Vantage Pro2 console but without the display (screen). That you want to use the Wireless Weather Envoy only with Cumulus (or any other weather software) does not matter as none of the Vantage products have an external communication interface by default.
This is my current shopping list:
Wireless Davis VP2 ISS (without console)
Wireless Davis Envoy (For use with VP2/VP2 ISS)
Buying a Davis Wired/Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS without a console is not the right move - Davis sells the Vantage Pro2 weather station as a complete unit (ie: the ISS and the console) at a lower price than it sells individual units - there is also the fact that the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy is now a discontinued product... :evil:

The Weather Envoy is mostly/usually used by itself as a data gatherer which then retransmits its information to a Vantage Pro2 (or Vantage VUE) console - I have seen the Weather Envoy being used in quite a few California vineyards.

Your best deal, when you have accumulated/earned/gained/saved enough money, will be to buy the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus ISS with FARS weather station ... or if you are still on a limited budget ... will be to buy the Vantage VUE weather station...

Should you need additional information, you just need to ask... ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:there is also the fact that the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy is now a discontinued product... :evil:
Where did you get that information from? The Davis site doesn't say it's discontinued.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

steve wrote:
gemini06720 wrote:there is also the fact that the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy is now a discontinued product... :evil:
Where did you get that information from? The Davis site doesn't say it's discontinued.
Oh yes it does... :evil:

Steve, had you clicked on the Wireless Weather Envoy link that I supplied you would have been taken to the Davis Web page where it is written at the top of the page 'This product has been discontinued' ... :roll:

Fortunately, the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy is still available... :oops:

Steve, you should know me better ... when I post something I try to get as much information as I can gather... ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:Steve, had you clicked on the Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Envoy link that I supplied you would have been taken to the Davis Web page where it is written at the top of the page 'This product has been discontinued' ... :roll:
"Compatible with original Vantage Pro only; not compatible with Vantage Pro2."
Steve, you should know me better ... when I post something I try to get as much information as I can gather... ;)
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/product ... pnum=06316 :roll:
Steve
barnsleynick

Post by barnsleynick »

Thanks for the info guys!
A company called Prodata Weather Systems does a special offer bundle with the Wireless Vantage Pro 2 station (with the console I presume), Weatherlink data logger and software for £695 (Free shipping and VAT), do you reckon that is a good deal? or could I get them cheaper elsewhere?

(BTW I am not planning on getting a new weatherstation soon, I am just seeing whats available to me and the costs for when I do)

Cheers :mrgreen:
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You can get them a bit cheaper. But John Dann (Prodata) is very knowledgeable and gives very good service and support.
Steve
barnsleynick

Post by barnsleynick »

steve wrote:You can get them a bit cheaper. But John Dann (Prodata) is very knowledgeable and gives very good service and support.
I noticed that with the infomation pack I requested was full of information writted by him.

And I will have to see what the prices are like when it comes to buying one! :D
ImageImage
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

barnsleynick wrote:
steve wrote:You can get them a bit cheaper. But John Dann (Prodata) is very knowledgeable and gives very good service and support.
I noticed that with the infomation pack I requested was full of information writted by him.

And I will have to see what the prices are like when it comes to buying one! :D
I bought my Davis kit from John. He's an excellent retailer. He will in all probability price match other UK retailers but I doubt you'll see much difference between them as the sole importer (some company around Southampton) dictates the price. Unlike in the US where the free market rules.

Lowest price isn't everything. Service counts and ProData is excellent.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

michaelaskew
Weather Station: accu weather
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by michaelaskew »

The Davis Vantage Pro 2 offers a range of options for weather monitoring and data collection. This advanced weather station is known for its accuracy and reliability. Here are some of the key options and features available with the Davis Vantage Pro 2:

Wireless Connectivity: The Vantage Pro 2 can transmit weather data wirelessly to a console or a compatible device, allowing you to monitor conditions from a distance.

Outdoor Sensor Suite: The outdoor sensor suite includes various sensors to measure temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, and rainfall. It's designed to withstand outdoor conditions.

Console Display: The console provides real-time weather data with easy-to-read displays, graphs, and charts. It allows you to monitor current conditions and view historical data.

Data Logging: The Vantage Pro 2 can log historical weather data, enabling you to analyze trends and patterns over time.

Additional Sensor Options: Depending on the model and configuration, you may have options to add sensors such as solar radiation, UV index, soil moisture, and leaf wetness.

Weather Alerts: The system can provide alerts for specific weather conditions, such as high winds, heavy rainfall, or freezing temperatures
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

necroposting? opening a 13 year old thread?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

ConligWX wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 2:59 pm necroposting? opening a 13 year old thread?
Curious as to the motive for such a post. It seems to be a first post and reads like a straight copy of some Davis marketing material or an online review somewhere.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Urban Dictionary: Necroposting
Necroposting The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose. Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.
Learn something new every day (but then English wasn't my first language!

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

prodata wrote: Thu 10 Aug 2023 4:03 pm
ConligWX wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 2:59 pm necroposting? opening a 13 year old thread?
Curious as to the motive for such a post. It seems to be a first post and reads like a straight copy of some Davis marketing material or an online review somewhere.
Yeah I thought that after I had approved the post. It's a spammer tactic, so I've been keeping my eyes open for activity before taking any action.

I just saw 27 June on the previous post - didn't clock that it was 2010!
Freddie