Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Forum spell checking?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Forum spell checking?

Post by RayProudfoot »

Super-T wrote:Forum software doesn't like my English spelling of some words? Is it set for US spelling?
Wouldn't be aluminum (aluminium) by any chance? :D The only language option in User Control Panel is British English.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: Radiation Shield accuracy

Post by Super-T »

aluminium is English, Aluminum all others :-)
Colonials follow the mother country :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Radiation Shield accuracy

Post by RayProudfoot »

I hope this thread doesn't deviate too much as it's proving an excellent guide for station accuracy. Let me just paste this from Wikipedia and hope it clears up any ambiguity about the spelling and pronunciation of aluminium (aluminum)....
Most countries use the spelling aluminium (with an i before -um). In the United States, this spelling is largely unknown, and the spelling aluminum predominates.[54][55] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium.

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[56] IUPAC officially prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although several IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Forum spell checking?

Post by steve »

As far as I can tell, the forum doesn't do spell checking. There's an add-on for it, but I don't have it installed. It doesn't seem to care whether I use aluminium or aluminum, and has never pointed out anything that I've mis-typed before. Are you sure it's not your browser?
Steve
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

My Google Chrome browser underlines the word 'aluminum' in red - not the forum. I think Steve has probably hit the nail on the head above. My browser is set to British English.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

I hadn't thought of the browser being the culprit. I use Flock aka Firefox. I checked the language setting and it was on US English...changed to NZ English and still shows Aluminium as incorrect. Ah well...who cares anyway. I used this 5 metre metal tube pole for the weather instruments!
Aluminium aluminum
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

Post in the pic.

Edit: I have Google Chrome set to use "English (Australia)" for 'spell checker language' and got the same result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

Super-T wrote: Ah well...who cares anyway. I used this 5 metre metal tube pole for the weather instruments!
:lol: