Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Somewhere to site my pages....

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Rabid Rob
Weather Station: Easy Weather
Operating System: Windows 7

Somewhere to site my pages....

Post by Rabid Rob »

Thanks to Yahoo ending its hosting service last year, I still haven't found anywhere to host my pages, including the new data page from my weather station. Now I just need a host, I don't need any free design software or drag and drop builders (like my broadband package offers) as I can design and build my own so where have other Cumulus users found that is reliable and cheap?!
Rob

Southall, London
51d 31m 32s N
0d 22m 14s W
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Somewhere to site my pages....

Post by Gina »

I use and can recommend QiQ Hosting based in the UK and Australia, http://www.qiq.co.uk/hosting.php The standard web hosting account (which I find more than adequate) costs 20 pounds (UK) a year. Then you will need an internet domain which costs 10 pounds every two years and which QiQ can also provide. I have found QiQ completely reliable and good value for money. I ran Cumulus using this hosting company for nearly a year before going over to Linux based software. I also have another couple of web sites hosted in the same account (there's plenty of space and bandwidth). I've used them for many years now,
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There's a page on the wiki with a list of hosting that people have found OK. It looks like QiQ isn't on there, so it probably needs adding.

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Webspace
Steve
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

You might like to take a look at this one http://www.dream-hosting.co.uk/, it's a very similar name to that on the Wiki so I don't know if it has a connection.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

I think Daj on here can host it for you.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

hills wrote:I think Daj on here can host it for you.
That's the official recommended Cumulus hosting. Except of course, there is no official recommended Cumulus hosting, I have to stay impartial ;)
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I use NearlyFreeSpeech which has a pay for usage system. You pay for how much storage space you use and how much bandwidth you consume. I have found it reliable, and for the bandwidth used by most personal websites very cheap - I pay less that $20 a year for both my web sites. It is also pretty functional in offering SSH, SFTP access etc along with PHP, MySQL etc.
The_One
Weather Station: WS2350
Operating System: Win 7 (64bit)

Post by The_One »

You could if you wanted to "build your own server" and "host " your own web site, this way it's free as your already paying for your connection anyway :)

Gina

Post by Gina »

Some ISPs expressly forbid using your account as a server.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
The_One
Weather Station: WS2350
Operating System: Win 7 (64bit)

Post by The_One »

Gina wrote:Some ISPs expressly forbid using your account as a server.
do you know which UK based isp forbids running your own server? I've run both my own web and mail server for years using different isp providers the only stipulation they make is that you ensure that your mail server is secure and cant be used as an open relay.

Gina

Post by Gina »

AOL used to say this but not sure if they still do. Think there were others too but forget which now.
Gina

Rabid Rob
Weather Station: Easy Weather
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Rabid Rob »

steve wrote:
hills wrote:I think Daj on here can host it for you.
That's the official recommended Cumulus hosting. Except of course, there is no official recommended Cumulus hosting, I have to stay impartial ;)
I like that...

I shall have to see if in my current financial state (I shall be out of work at the end of the month) what I can afford AND justify to the wife!

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Rob

Southall, London
51d 31m 32s N
0d 22m 14s W
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

The_One wrote:
Gina wrote:Some ISPs expressly forbid using your account as a server.
do you know which UK based isp forbids running your own server? I've run both my own web and mail server for years using different isp providers the only stipulation they make is that you ensure that your mail server is secure and cant be used as an open relay.
Virgin Media is one but I would a bit surprised to see many Residential providers allow by way of policy the ability to use your residential connection to provide server services.

Many ISP's don't actively enforce their Residential TOS or AUP's but most have restrictions of using servers on a residential connection. They want you to use their business services instead.

Some actually outright block ports on top of their policies like Cox which blocks outbound Port 80, inbound Port 25 (SMTP).
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

This morning I have checked several of the UK based ISPs and although most do not expressly state that you can not host a server, they all certainly have sufficient wording that could allow them to throttle or disconnect you. As Kevin has said above, I doubt they actively enforce the policy.

I'm not sure how well home hosting would work anyway -- Most people are connected via ADSL so you get a good downstream speeds (downloading data to your PC/server) but much slower upstream (sending to the internet). Which is why you can download an email with a large picture much faster than you can send it.

So in effect, if you ran a server in your home, your users will get a slow experience as you are sending the data to them (upstream) and the mores simultaneous users the slower their experience.

Example -- Most ADSL only give 448k (up to about 780k) upstream, where as they can offer 20Mb Downstream
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi