Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pressure drop question

Talk about the weather
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Pressure drop question

Post by THX »

Last night I noticed a pretty significant pressure drop from ~29.26 in to ~29.15 in a 15 to 30 minute span (at ~1:00 am).

I'm just not used to seeing spikes like this and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and what meteorological conditions would cause such an event.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Re: Pressure drop question

Post by hills »

I can't find the web site I was reading now, but as I live on the side of a mountain (well large hill anyway) I was investigating why the wind direction at my house is often coming from a completely different direction, sometimes opposite, to the prevailing wind and found a site that explained that mountains can affect the pressure, other than just due to height above sea level.

From memory (but don't quote me) the way I understood it was, after the wind has passed around and over the mountain, where it meets up on the other side it can increase the pressure in a very localised area. I guess that means there could be other pockets where the pressure was reduced as well??

While my pressure readings fluctuate I've never seen a spike like that though.

What is the terrain around your area?
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by THX »

The terrain is relatively even. In other words we don't have hills or mountains around.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Passage of a cold front, possibly.
Steve
Great Cornholio
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Great Cornholio »

While frontal passage could make sense it most likely was just a "fluke" reading. Unless there was a storm, but even then that seems like an almost impossible drop in pressure...especially since it went right back up.

Like hills said the wind and pressure..and even temp really can get affected by large hills, buildings, trees etc...wind would be the most affected. Although I noticed you're in the St Louis area so that rules out the hills messing with you.

Long story short..If I were a betting man I'd put my money on fluke reading.