Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CMXv4 Memory usage

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Dador
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt
Operating System: Windows 10

CMXv4 Memory usage

Post by Dador »

Build 4019 fixed the problem with charts. Thanks.

Currently, CMXv4 generally works well, except for one thing. I still have huge RAM usage.
Immediately after launch, it consumes about 110 MB. When I update the website (charts), it increases to over 450 MB and does not drop. For comparison, below is the RAM consumption of CMXv3, barely 20 MB :D .

I'll wait for .NET8.0.4. Maybe something will help, maybe not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Re: CMXv4 ExtraSensors Trends

Post by SamiS »

I haven’t run CMX in windows, but on Raspberry latest v3 b3283 starts at about 150MB and due to an unresolved memory leak on some setups it grows up to nearly 2GB in a month on my setup. So in my eyes 450MB is not even worth worrying about if it does not grow constantly.

I wonder if the difference is somehow related to how Windows calculates the actual process size vs the linked runtime libraries. Maybe the old net framework 4.8 is ”part of operating system” and not shown, but dotnet 8 is handled differently. Dunno. :? Of course it would be interesting to know if other users are seeing the same.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yep, memory usage has ballooned. I *think* there may be an improvement coming in 8.0.5, but meantime I am investigating other ways of limiting it....
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

I have two copies of CMX running on Linux and each have about 220Mb memory plus some shared memory so two copies running about 440Mb non-shared memory. My system has 15Gb memory though so not an issue, whole system uses about 1.6Gb of the 15Gb. I'm not sure I've seen any increases over time which are significant. Sounds like Windows has an issue with .NET which does not affect Linux.

Stuart
Dador

Post by Dador »

SamiS wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 9:39 am I haven’t run CMX in windows, but on Raspberry latest v3 b3283 starts at about 150MB and due to an unresolved memory leak on some setups it grows up to nearly 2GB in a month on my setup. So in my eyes 450MB is not even worth worrying about if it does not grow constantly.
WOW :shock:

Currently my 2 CMXv3 installations use about 20MB RAM each. I'm used to them running in the 20-40MB range. So both of them do not use more than 100MB together. For me, this 450MB is a shock.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I do have it under a bit of control now, but it is an ongoing investigation.

On Windows it is now consuming around 105 MB (125 for the debug version) at the start, which does increase like v3 when you view charts etc. But there is also evidence that the garbage collector is having some effect. After running for two and half hours the memory usage was 178 MB. Previously it went up to 250 MB very quickly.

NOTE: Windows Task Manager uses a different memory usage value. It uses the private portion of the working set. When MX was using 105 MB by my figures, Task Manager showed it as using 70 MB, and 178 MB = 108 MB in TM.

Please try replacing the attached file and restart your v4 and see what effect it has over a day or so....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I don't seem to have any memory issues and all seems fine. I don't have extra sensors other than AirLink.
I have 5 CMX running at the moment... attached Windows Task Manager 1st and 2nd CumulusMX are v4-b4019 and run consistently under 60 Mb with one connected with local WLL and the other Davis WL Cloud, and the others are v3-b3283 with the 3rd connected with WiFiLogger, 4th with Davis Cloud VP2, and the 5th with local WLL. Is there another way I should check this?

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Those are much lower figures than I am seeing Paul - I have no idea why that would be but count yourself lucky!
Dador

Post by Dador »

I haven't tried using CMXv4 with Davis yet, but I suspect I may have the same as Paul, which is low RAM consumption.
I observed how CMXv4 behaves with Ecowitt. Right after starting, the consumption reaches about 50MB, but once Cumulus connects to the station, it suddenly jumps to about 110MB, and then slowly increases. Perhaps this is where the problem lies, i.e. the CMX + Ecowitt gateway connection. But these are just random thoughts. This would need to be monitored more closely.

EDIT:
mcrossley wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 1:05 pm Please try replacing the attached file and restart your v4 and see what effect it has over a day or so....
I don't know if it helped or not. My observations after one day;

- memory consumption does not increase more than 550MB (varies 220-550MB);
- out of curiosity, I downgraded to .NET8.0.1 to see if it would help. It turned out that on CMXv4 it uses noticeably less by ~20MB.
- observing the consumption for CMXv3 and CMXv4, one get the impression that the latter uses an order of magnitude more memory. As if there was a comma moved to the right somewhere.
mcrossley

Re: CMXv4 Memory usage

Post by mcrossley »

Did anyone try the runtime config file I posted above? Any change?

If you could then try this version and let me know what happens - a slight concern that if there is a memory leak then MX will fail with an OOM error much sooner.
Dador

Post by Dador »

I have downloaded the latest file and will monitor the situation.
I'll let know.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 11:22 am Did anyone try the runtime config file I posted above? Any change?

If you could then try this version and let me know what happens - a slight concern that if there is a memory leak then MX will fail with an OOM error much sooner.

Mark. is this just for windows that you need to check or all OS's?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

It's for all OS.

I have found that last config file gives out of memory errors when you request a lot of data from the select-a-period graphs :(

Third version will be incoming soon....
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

mcrossley wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 2:54 pm It's for all OS.

I have found that last config file gives out of memory errors when you request a lot of data from the select-a-period graphs :(

Third version will be incoming soon....
Problem with my system is I have 16gb of memory. it may take a while for me to be "Out of Memory" :lol: I'll grab the file now and install it now.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

92merc
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by 92merc »

I never really looked at CMXv3 memory usage before the upgrade. But my CMXv4 is using 274 Meg on my Windows 11 PC.

Funny how it's within a couple of Meg in usage vs. my WD install, and the normal operating memory usage for IPTimelapse. IPTL jumps to 600 megs at times, then right back down.