Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My CumulusMx not receiving data from the station ;-(

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

rchi
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Raspberry 3+ and now RB 4+

My CumulusMx not receiving data from the station ;-(

Post by rchi »

Hello everyone, I'm trying to connect my PCE FWS 20N station to the setup with the latest CumulusMX present here: https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Raspberry_Pi_Image.
I correctly installed the IMG file by following the step-by-step instructions on the same page.
In the end I also connected Putty, through which I can send commands to the Raspberry 5 without problems.
I correctly call up the Cumulus homepage at the address 192.168.1.143:8998 and set the station in the appropriate settings page. Virtually everything works, the only problem is that Cumulus is not receiving data from the station.
I would like to point out that, at the moment, the station has been working correctly connected to a Raspberry 3.b+ for about three years without the slightest problem and now I would like to move on to updating the Raspberry with the version 5 mentioned above.
I did a lot of tests and checks also by searching on Google where some say that the USB port must be set, others allude to various types of problems but none have a solution.
So, apologizing for the long time, could someone tell me how to resolve it? I'm not very familiar with Linux and I would have preferred a nice .img file complete with icon graphics system and working Cumulus but I can't find it online, this light one would also be fine for me even if a little more complicated as long as it works.
If anyone has had this happen, could you give me some advice? Thank you
Roberto
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: My CumulusMx not receiving data from the station ;-(

Post by freddie »

Please zip up the contents of the MXdiags folder in your Cumulus MX installation, and attach it to a reply to this topic.
Freddie
rchi

Post by rchi »

Ok thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Your weather station is found by Cumulus MX but MX can't open a data connection to it. I have very little experience of Fine Offset stations. As you have been connected successfully to the station with another Pi for several years, I think the station itself is okay.

Perhaps a permissions problem when attempting to read from the station? What user is CumulusMX running as? If not root, does the user have permission to access the USB port the station is connected to?
Freddie
rchi

Post by rchi »

I don't know, but it's certain that with the complete installation of Raspberry OS with graphics and the same version of Cumulus everything worked perfectly. Unfortunately I formatted the SD by mistake and now I find myself trying to fix it but too much Linux is at zero; for this reason I would like to ask you if you know of any site where you can download a complete IMG file with graphic OS and cumulusmx?
In any case, thanks again for your prompt replies. HI
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

You could try this to fix a permission issue...

Code: Select all

wget https://techoverflow.net/scripts/udev-install-usbusers.sh | sudo bash -s $USER
Then reboot, and see if it now works.

(ref: https://techoverflow.net/2019/08/09/how ... d-for-all/)
rchi

Post by rchi »

Hi thanks for the information, I'm not at home at the moment but as soon as I get back I'll try and let you know. obviously the URL was launched from the Raspberry but I don't know how to do it because I don't have the graphical interface and communicated with it only via ssh with Putty, could you kindly clarify this for me? As you can see, they are not very familiar with Linux. Thank you! 😥
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

You just SSH into the rPi, then paste that command into your session.
rchi

Post by rchi »

Hello Mark, I just tried using the link you sent me but it doesn't seem to work. I attach the screen obtained with Putty in SSH after using it so you can check if there is something I did wrong... Do you think we can try something else? (Obviously I restarted the raspberry after giving the command with putty).
Thank you and good evening
Roberto

Roberto
raspberry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.