Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

V4 Synology NAS

From Cumulus MX version 3 build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since, and has recently released Cumulus MX version 4. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

V4 Synology NAS

Post by water01 »

For anyone who wants to run CumulusMX on a Synology NAS, a version of .NET V8.0.1 has been released and I have V4 running natively on the my Synology NAS DS720+.

This is using DSM 7.2, I am not sure if .NET V8 has been released on DSM 6.xx.xx.

No need for dockers or anything else just .NET V8 and MX, runs and stops using the Task Scheduler.
David
pdw112
Weather Station: .
Operating System: .

Re: V4 Synology NAS

Post by pdw112 »

can you explain my step by step how you install and run cumulusMX4 on synology.

I also want to try Cumulus MX4 run on my NAS
water01

Post by water01 »

I will put something together tomorrow and post it here, only just saw this.
David
water01

Post by water01 »

Ok here goes!! This is what I did.
First and this is a major point I am using DSM 7.2.1. I am not sure if the.NET 8 install is available on DSM 6.
First I created a shared directory on my raid volume called cumulusmx
I then downloaded CMX4 to my Windows Pc, unzipped it and copied the entire contents to my the cumulusmx directory on the NAS.
I then copied my V3 Cumulus.ini and strings.ini to the NAS cumulusmx Directory.
I then copied my V3 /data and /Reports folders to the NAS cumulusmx Directory.
I then renamed the /data folder in the CumulusMX directory to /datav3.
I then installed the .NET 8 runtime from the Community package source (if you do not have this source in your Package Center settings add it as http://packages.synocommunity.com/).
I then SSH'd into the NAS under my user and tested the .NET 8 install by using "dotnet –-info" at the command line.
This should give you something like this :
David@SynologyNAS:~$ dotnet --info

Host:
Version: 8.0.4
Architecture: x64
Commit: 2d7eea2529
RID: linux-x64

.NET SDKs installed:
No SDKs were found.

.NET runtimes installed:
Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 8.0.4 [/volume1/@appstore/dotnet8-runtime/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]
Microsoft.NETCore.App 8.0.4 [/volume1/@appstore/dotnet8-runtime/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Other architectures found:
None

Environment variables:
Not set

global.json file:
Not found

Learn more:
https://aka.ms/dotnet/info

Download .NET:
https://aka.ms/dotnet/download

Using the SSH command line I then navigated to cumulusmx directory in the volume1 directory i.e. David@SynologyNAS:/volume1/cumulusmx$ (this assumes you know how to use basic linux commands such as CD to get to a directory).
I then ran the data conversion by using the command line "dotnet MigrateData3to4.dll".
The data conversion should then run hopefully with no errors. Also note I did not have any Custom Daily log files, so no parameters were needed.
I then set up two tasks in Control Panel Task Scheduler, one to start CumulusMX and the other to stop it, so that it would automatically start and stop CumulusMX i.e. on a restart or DSM upgrade. So to do this click on Create and choose Triggered Task > User-defined script.

The “CulmulusMX Start” task is setup to run under root on Boot-up with Task settings to Run Command

dotnet /volume1/cumulusmx/CumulusMX.dll

The “CulmulusMX Stop” task is setup to run under root on Shutdown with Task settings to Run Command

pkill -f "dotnet"

OK that should be all, so to start Version 4 for the first time go back to main page of the Task Scheduler, highlight “CumulusMX Start” and then click on Run in the top headings of Task Scheduler.

Updating to a new version I run the “CumulusMX Stop” task, delete the interface and runtimes directories, and then copy the new versions from the release. I then copy all the main CumulusMX files from “Acknowledgements,txt” to “Updates.txt” over the existing files and then start CumulusMx as above.

Any problems let me know.
David