Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Hostpresto server migration

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: Hostpresto server migration

Post by AndyKF650 »

So after a few days of steep learning HostPresto is fully retired from hosting my site. tsoHost is the way forward.

I did have issues with setting up MySQL databases and the access to the same. One of the key moments was setting the Remote MySQL with the correct IP address and the % wildcard to catch all options. The error log on cPanel public_html also proved useful in identifying specific errors to finally complete the setup of my 7DayRolling data page.

Now I just need to sit back and watch the site do its thing and collect data for a period longer than a couple of days before I think of something else to "enhance " the site,
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I haven't had any time to look in to moving hosts yet, but it will be very soon.

I am blocked from my site yet again. Hostpresto can shove their servers up their.. :groan: :groan: :groan:
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

The new host for my site at tsoHost have been very stable since I started a week ago with no breakdowns at all.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

And again today..

4am until 11am.

Anyone reading this who is wanting a new host, steer well clear of hostpresto.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 12:37 pm And again today..

4am until 11am.

Anyone reading this who is wanting a new host, steer well clear of hostpresto.
You’re clearly uploading very different data to me. No problems whatsoever with Cumulus1.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Same data, different upload method. Cumulus 1 doesn't have the option of using http/PHP uploads - it is restricted to FTP which isn't affected by this issue, but is not secure.
Freddie
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Freddie, “not secure”? Meaning it could be tampered with? Seems unlikely.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

RayProudfoot wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 7:42 am Freddie, “not secure”? Meaning it could be tampered with? Seems unlikely.
I think you have misunderstood, Freddie meant plain FTP is not secure and can be hacked which is why most sites now insist on secure connections using FTPS, SFTP or in MX's case PHP.

He is talking about the connection type not the data stream. Plain old FTP can be hacked to gain access to your web site if it was worth the effort, but there is always some "Richard Cranium"!! Also of course the data stream is not encrypted so using the right sniffing tools etc. someone can read your plain text data stream which may contain passwords etc.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

water01 wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 8:46 am
I think you have misunderstood, Freddie meant plain FTP is not secure and can be hacked which is why most sites now insist on secure connections using FTPS, SFTP or in MX's case PHP.

He is talking about the connection type not the data stream. Plain old FTP can be hacked to gain access to your web site if it was worth the effort, but there is always some "Richard Cranium"!! Also of course the data stream is not encrypted so using the right sniffing tools etc. someone can read your plain text data stream which may contain passwords etc.
Understood. In 14 years using both Steve and now HP I’ve not been warned of any attempted hacks. HP seem happy with how I send them data and hopefully that will remain the case until I croak. 😁
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Hello All,
I have some good news!
Hostpresto has moved my website to a different server, and now no errors occur at all on Windows 11.

So it was Hostpresto's problem along.
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

So after about 2 weeks tsoHost is still behaving properly with no issues at all.

For me, HostPresto were kicked into touch about 10 days ago and today they sent the following message which just seems to ignore the fact that I left as a result of their poor service. Rather like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

But hey ho it seems that they are trying to get themselves in order.
Hello,

I'm Declan, customer success manager. I'm just following up on your recent support query to ensure everything has been resolved to your satisfaction. If not, please do let me know and I'll be happy to address any remaining issues.

I also wanted to let you know that we're now offering £10 in credit for anyone who leaves us a review on TrustPilot. This credit can be used for any purchases on renewals on existing services or domains, or new purchases with no restrictions, so it's almost as good as cash in your hand.

To leave a review, simply go to https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/hostpresto.com and follow the instructions, once the review is published reply back to me with a link to the review, and I'll add the credit to your account. When you need to pay your next invoice the system will automatically use the credit rather than your usual payment method.

A couple of points to note, firstly you can redeem this offer once every 12 months, not more often than this (we'll ask you again when you're eligible in 12 months time). Secondly you cannot withdraw this credit from the system as cash.

Kind regards
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Hostpresto are diabolical!

My website went down for over an hour again last night. I emailed them and I got the same reply as last time.. saying that a migration was taking place "As per the email and announcement" on the client area of their website. Yet again, no email was sent and there was NO announcement on their website. I was told the migration was completed during the last downtime.

After it came back, all FTP accounts were disabled!

I also found out, they have charged me £30 a year for the last 3 years for SSL. And yet, my package supplies a free SSL certificate.

They are crooks!
Hostpresto are the most incompetent hosting company I've come across. The amount of downtime and issues in the last 7 months is unacceptable.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Mapantz wrote: Thu 18 Jan 2024 10:57 am They are crooks!
Hostpresto are the most incompetent hosting company I've come across. The amount of downtime and issues in the last 7 months is unacceptable.
How long does it take to (decide to) go to another provider :?:
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

HansR wrote: Thu 18 Jan 2024 11:06 am
Mapantz wrote: Thu 18 Jan 2024 10:57 am They are crooks!
How long does it take to (decide to) go to another provider :?:
You tell me?!

I don't have the time to do it, as it's something that needs to be done quickly to get m y site running as quickly as possible.

Not to mention, I have about 100GB of other stuff saved on my host.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

My site was down for around an hour or two but I just waited. When access resumed no data had been lost and that’s using FTP uploads.

The hosting company that never takes their servers down for maintenance doesn’t exist.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.