Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Relative and Absolute Air pressure

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Relative and Absolute Air pressure

Post by watsonm »

Hi,
I have recently configured my setup to send data to Ecowitt.net. When logged on to this site you can pull down a map and see other users data.

What has suprised me is that quite a few datasets have Absolute air pressure greater than Relative pressure. Ok the odd one or two may be below sea level so I am wondering if folks just tweak the Relative pressure offset on the console and totally ignore the Absolute Pressure. (or is there another reason?)

I am using a BMP388 sensor that measures Air pressure (since my console is deceased) and use some Python code to convert the Absolute Pressure given to Relative pressure using the following formula from the referenced web page.

Code: Select all

pressureR = float(pressureA) + ((float(pressureA) * 9.80665 * altitude_amsl)/(287 * (273 + temperature + (altitude_amsl/400))))
See this site for description:

https://gist.github.com/cubapp/23dd4e91814a995b8ff06f406679abcf
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Relative and Absolute Air pressure

Post by HansR »

I am not really sure what your question is. Yes, I see a lot of variation (tooo much) on that map but I don't think I can select absolute or relative. I think I just gave altitude of the station and that is it, Ecowitt does the rest. Or am I missing a point?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
watsonm

Post by watsonm »

On the Pressure panel it usually shows Relative Pressure on the left and Absolute on the right.

https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=102310
Mine (link above) shows Relative greater than Absolute. A random selection of other sites display Relative lower than Absolute which
believe is unlikely in most cases.

(yours seems to show Absolute and Relative the same so I guess your toes are in the sea!! :D
being in Holland not so unusual!! )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

I agree with Mike.

Relative Pressure is what the pressure would be at sea level (i.e., Relative to Sea Level); Absolute is the actual pressure you measure.

Usually Relative is greater than Absolute, exceptions being:

1/ Readings taken at mean sea level - both Absolute and Relative should be the same. But by definition you would be under water for some part of the day!

2/ Readings taken at elevations below sea level (e.g., Death Valley) where Absolute will be greater than Relative.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
CumulusMX V4 / CUtils V7
Raspberry Pi 5 64bit
http://goosegate.uk/
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

My absolute pressure is greater than my relative pressure, which makes no sense. However, there's nothing that can be done about it..

Relative pressure is the one that needs to be adjusted, and if I do that by looking up stations and metar data to get a figure, it'll always be below the absolute pressure reading.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The app lets me adjust both absolute and relative pressures independently.
HansR

Post by HansR »

watsonm wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 2:27 pm On the Pressure panel it usually shows Relative Pressure on the left and Absolute on the right.

https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=102310
Mine (link above) shows Relative greater than Absolute. A random selection of other sites display Relative lower than Absolute which
believe is unlikely in most cases.

(yours seems to show Absolute and Relative the same so I guess your toes are in the sea!! :D
being in Holland not so unusual!! )
Indeed I live at 0 m so that is sealevel (for the time being as its slowly rising ;) )
Actually it should be -1m but I found it easier to have both the same.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 5:06 pm The app lets me adjust both absolute and relative pressures independently.
Ah yes, in the calibration section.
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Though why do they not use the more "normal" terms of station pressure and sea-level pressure.
HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 5:50 pm Though why do they not use the more "normal" terms of station pressure and sea-level pressure.
:lol: China... think different!
Hans

access-mdb
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Raspbian OS

Post by access-mdb »

I'm quite close to RAF Benson, so I can compare my relative pressure with theirs. The relative (read Sea Level) pressures are about the same. the absolute (read station) pressures shouldn't match so well as we are at a different heights AMSL. I too notice that other stations on the Ecowitt web page are too low, so it looks like they don't know the difference - perhaps because of the terminology used. There is one not far away which is far too high (faulty pressure sensor?) I assume that the website shows the relative value but people haven't amended theirs. If you think about it, station level pressure isn't very useful on a map - you can't draw isobars when stations have different heights. Of course, station level pressure is used for aircraft landing as their height above the airfield is more important than their height above mean sea level!
watsonm

Post by watsonm »

Of course, station level pressure is used for aircraft landing as their height above the airfield is more important than their height above mean sea level!
Just make sure you know your QFE from your QNH :oops:
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
access-mdb
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Raspbian OS

Post by access-mdb »

And QBA, QBB and QNY are suitable as well! :D