Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Error when opening NOAA annual report

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Konst2981
Weather Station: watson w-8681
Operating System: Windows 7

Error when opening NOAA annual report

Post by Konst2981 »

Hello,

when I select NOAA annual report from view menu, I receive the following message:
21/9/2022 10:57:43 μμ : Error at line 1 of C:\Cumulus\data\Μαϊ22log.txt : '12,2' is not a valid floating point value
21/9/2022 10:57:43 μμ : Please edit the file to correct the error
At first I thought that it was an error caused by a lack of "enter" between recording, but when I opened the corresponding file (attached here), I saw that everything was as it should be :? . So, I don't understand what might have gone wrong and I receive this message. Do you :?: ?

Kind regards
KL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Error when opening NOAA annual report

Post by sfws »

I am puzzled why a problem with May data has not been identified before as we are now in September. Is it because you don't have a C:\Cumulus\ReportsNOAAYR2022 file, and this is first time you have tried to view/generate that report, or because you have recently edited C:\Cumulus\data\Μαϊ22log.txt? Do you remember if you were having any issues with Cumulus on 1 May 2022? Those are the only reasons that spring to my mind as possibilities.

Do you still, one week later, have this problem? Please try again. Cumulus should have tried to update the September line of that report at every rollover since you posted in the forum.

I am assuming that you are using Cumulus 1.9.4, build 1099 from looking at the file path for the file C:\Cumulus\data\Μαϊ22log.txt and the number of fields per line. The View menu of Cumulus 1 has an option to view the NOAA Annual report. Your post says that was what you were doing when you saw the error? I suspect not, as Viewing should merely access the C:\Cumulus\Reports\NOAAYR2022 report; without any access to any data files. What actually happens when you try to VIEW the report? Maybe your problem is that the report does not exist or it stops with April 2022? If the report file does exist, can you attach it to a reply to this post.

If the report is missing, can you regenerate the report. Perhaps you were trying to do a regenerate when you saw the error? For a regenerate, Cumulus would need to read all data files relating to the year required. Can you try to regenerate the NOAA annual report now, to see whether Cumulus still says there is a fault with the May 2022 file. To help me (who uses MX now) can you can describe what selections you make in Cumulus to do a regenerate; to see if the error still exists or attach an annotated screen shot (see https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Screen_capture) if that is easier for you.

What tool did you use to look at C:\Cumulus\data\Μαϊ22log.txt file? Are you sure that file is still same as it was when you got the error? It may be whatever tool you used has changed something, perhaps the encoding used by the file. I opened that May 2022 file in Libre Office Calc to see if it looked right. I also read it using the Bless Hex editor to confirm there were no extra characters within the file that did not appear in a normal text view. I checked positions of commas and semicolons, and checked what characters appeared at start and end of the first few lines. Both tools suggest to me that there is nothing wrong with that first line in the area near the average wind speed 12.2 value (or indeed in a a few spot checks I made of other parts of the file). That is why I am suggesting you try to regenerate the annual report. If you still get an error relating to May 2022 file, then in your next post also attach the April 2022 file, so a working file can be compared with the failing file.

If when you try to regenerate the NOAA annual report you do see the same error message, then could you also zip up the files in C:\Cumulus\diags and attach that zip to your reply. It is possible that some further useful information gets logged in one of the files in that directory when any NOAA report action fails (there should be a message at each rollover when the annual report is updated, as well as a message when you try to regenerate the report). It is possible you need to turn diagnostics on, please see https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Category:Diagnostics, if you do turn debugging on, turn it off again soon afterwards as explained on same page of documentation.

If you do still see that same error, you could make a copy of the May 2022 file, delete the first line from original file, type in manually the first line again (reading each character individually from the copy of the file) and then save the original file now it once again has all lines. I can't see why replacing the line would make any difference, but it might be worth trying.
Konst2981

Post by Konst2981 »

Dear sfws,

firstly and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your very detailed answer!
Maybe your problem is that the report does not exist or it stops with April 2022?

You are right, the report doesn't exist. I created after a couple of days the report file but it contained data from May onwards ommiting Jan - Apr
NOAAYR2022.txt
What tool did you use to look at C:\Cumulus\data\Μαϊ22log.txt file?
I used notepad++

I forgot to mention in my previous message that I reinstalled windows on May, and I transfered from my old cummulus folder the data files. Yesterday I had a flash and I checked the files one by one. I realised that some of them had "." as decimal separator while other had "," . I've changed the "," to "." and the error messages stopped.. but as I mentioned above, the files still ignored by cumulus.. like they don't exist. I also tried to create an annual report for 2021 but i recieved a blank sheet, only with NOAA titles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

It looks like you changed the locale that Cumulus is running under during May, from one that uses a comma decimal, to one that uses a dot decimal.

This happened on 22/05/22 @ 13:00

If you are still running under this dot decimal locale, then you will need to edit your old log files to change their comma decimals to dots. Luckily the column separator has not changed and remains as a semi-colon.
Konst2981

Post by Konst2981 »

Indeed..

The problem partly fixed, but I can't create NOAA reports for 2021, because there is no option for dates after 2020
Capture2.PNG
When I write 2021 and click the update button, nothing happens..
Capture2.PNG
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

You need to install the patched version of Cumulus. See the pink-coloured panel at the top of all forum pages.
Freddie
Konst2981

Post by Konst2981 »

Thank you very much for your answer! Problems solved ! :clap: :clap:
Benji60
Weather Station: HP1000 Froggit Pro
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Benji60 »

Hello,
I noticed a small error when the difference between normals and precipitation is negative. There is no space between the cumulus number and the difference number.
Nothing bad, just shift it but it keeps coming back and it creates an error on the NOAA script that I use.
Capture.JPG
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The format is fixed, so if your script uses there correct column numbers it should be able to read it OK. If you go adding spaces to make it look nice then the format is no longer fixed and some code will fail to read it.