Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt Advice

GW1000 WiFi gateway
GWCTas
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH2901c
Operating System: Mac OS X 13.6.3

Re: Ecowitt Advice

Post by GWCTas »

Understand Mark - thanks for all the time you have committed to Cumulus MX. BTW, I have returned to Cumulus as I run a Wordpress site for our model aircraft site www.lmacrc.com (select the [Weather] tab), but the plugin developer has effectively abandoned the plugin and unfortunately, unlike Cumulus, you cannot edit any inconsistencies. Wordpress no longer make the plugin available due to no development to address security issues in WP.

Mark, are you the sole developer/contributor to Cumulus MX and if so, what happens if you can no longer support/develop MX? To part answer my own question, Cumulus MX doesn't have to comply with Wordpress security requirements and as it is, there may be no need to develop further?

Cheers,
George
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

GWCTas wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 11:33 pm Mark, are you the sole developer/contributor to Cumulus MX and if so, what happens if you can no longer support/develop MX?
Virtually, other people have contributed bits now and then. When I give up, I guess it will be up to someone else to take over like I did when Steve went.
LazyDogFarms
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by LazyDogFarms »

I'm setting up Cumulus MX with my Ecowitt GW1000 and am running into an issue with the temperature readings. On the Cumulus MX dashboard I'm seeing a reading of 0.0°F for temperature and I am also showing a dew point of -0.2°F. All of the other sensor readings appear correct; including pressure, rainfall, wind speed and direction, humidity and solar radiation (I am comparing the Cumulus MX dashboard readings with the WS View readings.

I have set the station up using Ecowitt Cloud, Ecowitt Local API and HTTP (Ecowitt) and see the same problem with all three station types.

The GW1000 reads the WH32, WH40, WS68 and several additional WH31, WH51 and WH41 sensors fine. There just seems to be the one issue with Cumulus MX picking up the WH32 readings. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

What does the WSView+ app show for temps? As long as the WH32 is enabled in sensorid on the app it should be seen by CumulusMX automatically.

Stuart
LazyDogFarms

Post by LazyDogFarms »

broadstairs wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 11:57 am What does the WSView+ app show for temps?

Stuart
Both WSView+ app and Ecowitt.net are showing:
64.2°F Temperature
63.9°F Dew Point

Cumulus MX dashboard is showing:
0.0°F Temperature
-0.2°F Dew Point

All other readings on Cumulus MX dashboard match current readings on WSView+ and Ecowitt.net, uploaded about a minute before posting this reply. All green lights on Cumulus MX dashboard.
Last edited by LazyDogFarms on Mon 06 May 2024 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LazyDogFarms

Post by LazyDogFarms »

broadstairs wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 11:57 am As long as the WH32 is enabled in sensorid on the app it should be seen by CumulusMX automatically.

Stuart
Yes, the WH32 is enabled in Sensors ID (shows as T&H, the third entry just below the WS68 anemometer/light/UV sensor and the WH40 rain gauge), it has an ID number (88) and good signal strength. Battery level is showing normal.
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

Strange, I have a wh32 and it overrides the temp from my ws80 which is what CMX picks up automatically with no settings needed to be changed in CMX.

Stuart
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

You should switch on data and debug logging, leave it to run for 30 mins or so, then zip up your latest MXdiags file and attach it to a reply to this topic. That way we can see what the gw1000 is sending to MX in terms of raw data.
Freddie
LazyDogFarms

Post by LazyDogFarms »

Attached is the MXdiag file.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think I see what is happening but don't know why it is happening or how to correct it.

I see multiple entries that read:

Spike removal: Temp difference greater than specified; reading ignored
Spike removal: NewVal=63.9 OldVal=999.0 SpikeTempDiff=999.0 HighLimit=60.0 LowLimit=-60.0

That may not be the issue/only issue, but it stuck out to me...

Thanks for the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Looks like your spike values are in Celsius whereas you use Fahrenheit. I would go through all your spike values and ensure they are sensible for the units you are using.
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The values are stored in cumulus.ini in metric units, converted to user units on read, and converted back to metric on save.

But for some people it seems that they get double converted to metric, I have failed to reproduce this so far. However I thought just struck me, I wonder if it happens on initial setup and user changes the units - it supposed to cope with this but....
LazyDogFarms

Post by LazyDogFarms »

freddie wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 3:31 pm Looks like your spike values are in Celsius whereas you use Fahrenheit. I would go through all your spike values and ensure they are sensible for the units you are using.
So I've checked those in the CumulusMX calibration settings screen but no joy. I also installed CumulusMX on a different PC and used the Config Wizard to carefully step-through the initial settings, including setting the temp to fahrenheit. Once those were saved, I restarted CumulusMX but no change. I see this for Temperature on the dashboard:

And this for Dew Point:

However, if I go through the Config Wizard and set up CumulusMX from the beginning (after deleting the prior Cumulus MX folder) and leave the temperature setting as metric, everything looks good (except that it is in metric). If I try to go back through Units and change temperature units to fahrenheit, it is back to the 0.0° issue. But if I then go in and change the temperature back to celsius, temperature and dew point read correctly (albeit in celsius).

Still stymied! However, my purpose for running CumulusMX is primarily to transmit to CWOP. I can't determine whether having the temperature set to celsius would be an issue or not. So if celsius readings are acceptable data for CWOP for a US based weather station, all will be good. Any guidance? Thanks again.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

When you change the units, please go back and check the Calibration settings.

Or, when set to your required units, stop Cumulus, edit the cumulus.ini and replace the [Limits] section with this...

Code: Select all

[Limits]
TempHighC=40
TempLowC=-25
DewHighC=30
PressHighMB=1060
PressLowMB=950
WindHighMS=50
Then restart MX.

I'm away for a couple of days, but I'll look into the cause of the problem when I get back.
LazyDogFarms

Post by LazyDogFarms »

Thanks, Mark. Changing out the [Limits] section of the cumulus.ini file seems to have done the trick!