Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR928 Anemometer

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
southfield

WMR928 Anemometer

Post by southfield »

Hi Has anyone changed the bearings in a WMR928 anemometer.
Mine has become very loose and as such it does not spin in light wind.
before I take it down and have a good look I thought someone out there might have some tips, saving me possibly damaging the unit and having to spend close to £100 on a replacement one.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: WMR928 Anemometer

Post by Super-T »

Probably cheaper to buy a new one and lubricate the bearings before use.
southfield

Re: WMR928 Anemometer

Post by southfield »

Have got anemometer repaired and working again.

Hope the following is of use if anyone else has a problem.

To dismantle anemometer I removed the wind direction arm and the wind cups, they were held on with a screw located behind a plastic plug,then removed the T shaped head from the horizontal arm.
Inside the head you can then press the tab that holds the wind directon bearing and pull out the wind direction housing, under this is a circuit board and the anemometer sensor, there was enough spare cable to leave everything attached.
When all this is out of the way you can see two screws that hold the bearing housing in place, remove these and then remove the bearing from the spindle (C clip and then a small nut).

The bearing Measures 10mm OD, 3mm ID and 4mm thick.
A quick trawl through the bearing catalog said this was a 6232Z bearing. My local bearing supplier only had in stock 6232ZZ bearings which have double seals instaid of single ones and so these are the ones I used which should offer better protection against the weather.

Reassembled everything and set it all up and everthing seems to be working fine.

Have not had bill for bearing yet but they are about £2 to £3 pounds so 3 hours work was a better option than the cost of a new arm.