Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather forecast using Sager algorithm

Talk about the weather
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Weather forecast using Sager algorithm

Post by nking »

I have been playing around with the Sager Weathercast algorithm (Latitudes greater than 25 Deg.), which you may know of. Anyway, I have amended it to theoretically work for the Southern Hemisphere. I’m no coding or scripting junkie (far from it) so all I’ve done is some editing but I think it works OK (Original coding by Naish, so he takes all the credit). ;)

Zip files attached:

At the moment there are two HTML and two javascript files

Northern Hemisphere - Sager Algorithm_NH.html and sager_cast.js

Southern Hemisphere - Sager Algorithm_SH.html and sager_cast_sh.js

I mentioned I have very limited knowledge of coding but I have been wondering if it would be reasonable to use the Sager to produce automatic forecasts from Cumulus data, something akin to the forecast that Davis PWS produce. Now I know all you perfectionists will be quick to say “what about the cloud observations!” :o but I’m not looking for perfection, I’m happy with the 80/20 rule. :bash:

The webtags available could provide all the parameters except cloud and wind direction change (veering or backing). However, looking at the algorithm, cloud is most important when it is overcast/raining so using the cloud base one could assume that a low cloud base < 500ft is overcast and that > is partly cloudy (the numbers are just for example). We would also be able to say if it is/was raining in the last hour. The wind direction (veering or backing) seems to have very low impact on the forecast. :roll:

Even if Cloud and Wind (veering or backing) were not used accurately, the forecast is still more descriptive (or these two could be entered manually for greater accuracy). These are really just ideas in case some really clever person wants to take up the challenge …. :ugeek:

Anyway, something to play with while you gaze at your Cumulus data! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Weather forecast using Sager algorithm

Post by Gina »

Interesting thought :) I was thinking I might add forecasting to my site. It would certainly be interesting to see how accurate it was. Using real local conditions it could beat the Met Office :lol: However, that's for the future - lots of other things to do first.

Thank you for posting the info :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.