Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX v4 updating

From Cumulus MX version 3 build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since, and has recently released Cumulus MX version 4. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

garyghj
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 10

CumulusMX v4 updating

Post by garyghj »

Having used Cumulus since 2017 and then CumulusMX with the many updates it has never been more obvious than the recent upgrade to version 4 that the clever programme writers behind Cumulus MX assume us mere ‘weather watchers and recorders’ are also programme and PC savvy.

Like most people, I expect’ who use this great piece of weather station software, when getting the message that we are not running the latest version, just headed over to CumulusMX software and downloaded the latest version, as usual, only to find that it does not start after updating.
On researching the Cumulus Forum and finding ‘Please Note if you are going to use this release you must follow the instruction in this Topic viewtopic.php?t=22051
Failure to do so will mean Version 4 will not run as the base files have to be converted from Version3 to Version 4 and Version 4 NO LONGER uses MONO, it uses .NET8. we are greeted with a long explanation of what the technical attributes and lots of technical’.
This page is full of technical jargon (admittedly important to some people), but heading to the next page, ‘Cumulus MX Version 4 - Additional Information’, again we are faced with some fairly technical detail and explanations.

Using Windows PowerShell (admin) did not work for me as I kept getting the message ‘winget is not a recognised command’. I know is a problem on my PC and not with CumulusMX, but frankly to research and fix a onetime use, programme is simply not necessary.
So, for weather watchers like me who just want to stop getting the ‘new version is available’ message and simply update this great programme, this worked for me.

1/ Go to https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download and download .NET 8.0 (.NET SDK x64) Unless you have a new version of Windows since April this year it is unlikely that .NET 8 will be installed.
2/ Run this .exe from your download location and it will install .NET 8 on your Windows PC
3/ Find your CumulusMX folder. [My CumulusMX is on my C drive.] Cut the CumulusMX file and paste it to a separate location
4 / Download latest build of Cumulus MX (https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Software) Open the Zip file and copy the CumulusMX folder to the location you cut the original from.
5/ Open the old CumulusMX folder and copy Cumulus.ini and strings.ini [if your file explorer does not show .ini attributes these are both ‘Configuration settings’ and paste both in the new CumulusMX v4 folder
6/ Copy the original 'data and 'Reports' folders and paste them into the new CumulusMX v4 folder.
7/ In the new CumulusMX folder find the data folder and rename it to datav3
8/ In the new CumulusMX folder look for MigrateData3to4.exe file. Right click and ‘Run as administrator’. Follow prompts (2 No.)
Done
Now run CumulusMX as usual and all should be well.
This is not a criticism as the programme writers are absolutely correct, but sometimes things just need to be a bit simpler for the end user.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: CumulusMX v4 updating

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Good write up steps...
for weather watchers like me who just want to stop getting the ‘new version is available’ message
;) Just to remind you that both CumulusMX v3 and v4 have an option in Alarm settings where you can turn off
Cumulus upgrade available
Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
KF0KFL-13
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2902
Operating System: Libre Computer Raspberry PI

Post by KF0KFL-13 »

So last night I tried upgrading to build 4022 with no luck with it running.

I had to revert back to build 3283 that is still working good.

Cumulus MX is on a Libre Computer with a Raspberry Pi OS

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

KF0KFL-13 wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 10:18 pm So last night I tried upgrading to build 4022 with no luck with it running.

I had to revert back to build 3283 that is still working good.

Cumulus MX is on a Libre Computer with a Raspberry Pi OS

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
follow the linux instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=179794
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

KF0KFL-13

Post by KF0KFL-13 »

Thank you! Looks like I have some work to do! A little more complicated than previous upgrades
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

KF0KFL-13 wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 12:16 am Thank you! Looks like I have some work to do! A little more complicated than previous upgrades

yes, a bit more, but take your time and it will all work. any problems you run into I would guess someone here has already had a similar issue and it can be resolved without much fuss.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

KF0KFL-13 wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 12:16 am Thank you! Looks like I have some work to do! A little more complicated than previous upgrades
Luckily the big effort is needed only once when migrating from v3 to v4. Last time we probably had equally major changes at 2015 when CumulusMX was made available.
KF0KFL-13

Post by KF0KFL-13 »

Ok I've starting updating to version 4.

MigrateData3to4.dll fails to run and CumulusMX isn't running.

I'm think I missed something installing .Net8

when I run dotnet --info ; this is what I get:

Host:
Version: 8.0.4
Architecture: arm64
Commit: 2d7eea2529
RID: linux-arm64

.NET SDKs installed:
No SDKs were found.

.NET runtimes installed:
Microsoft.NETCore.App 8.0.4 [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Other architectures found:
None

Environment variables:
Not set

global.json file:
Not found

Learn more:
https://aka.ms/dotnet/info

Download .NET:
https://aka.ms/dotnet/download

ANY IDEAS? Thanks in advance
DesertRat
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by DesertRat »

I am uploading my MXdiags as CMX 4 requested when I tried to run it first time after converting CMX3 to XMX4 from 3283 on RPi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

DesertRat wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 12:14 pm I am uploading my MXdiags as CMX 4 requested when I tried to run it first time after converting CMX3 to XMX4 from 3283 on RPi.
I am confused by the times in (and of) your logfiles:
  1. you seem to have run the conversion twice on 14th of May, the second one ran successfully
  2. Your ServiceConsoleLogs do not contain enough information as if CMX does not run correctly through its initialisation or it is being broken off. The sessions are started 2 minutes after each other without confirming a shutdown of the first. Can you explain?
  3. The last logfile does a a shutdown at 22h16 so apparently after that you start your conversion.
  4. There is no logfile for the v4 run.
Did you start v4 manually from the commandline or as a service?
Could you do a commanline start and make a screenshot of the output and post it here please?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

dotnet CumulusMX.dll
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=adb9793829ddae60'. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=adb9793829ddae60'
at CumulusMX.Cumulus..ctor()
at CumulusMX.Program.RunAsAConsole(Int32 port, Boolean debug)
at CumulusMX.Program.Main(String[] args)
at CumulusMX.Program.<Main>(String[] args)
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
Press Enter to terminate
HansR

Post by HansR »

I understand you had a message like the above but the fact is that in that directory there is no v4 logfile. Or I missed it.

That is something you have to invesstigate.
Do you have accidentally created two directory trees for CMX?
Hans

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I only see one tree
HansR

Post by HansR »

So start it from the commandline and post the output (screenshot). There must be a reason why there is no v4 logfile.
Hans

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I did start it from the command line. I already sent the output

dotnet CumulusMX.dll

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=adb9793829ddae60'. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=adb9793829ddae60'
at CumulusMX.Cumulus..ctor()
at CumulusMX.Program.RunAsAConsole(Int32 port, Boolean debug)
at CumulusMX.Program.Main(String[] args)
at CumulusMX.Program.<Main>(String[] args)
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
Press Enter to terminate