Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Re: spam

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

What I don't understand is why ordinary users do not have a 'Report Post' option. This is normal practice to alert a moderator to the existence of a post which may fall foul of forum rules and they should take action if it does indeed fail to adhere to rules. I'm sure the forum software must have an option to make this available to most ordinary users, it may in some circumstances not be available to newly registered users for obvious reasons.

Stuart
Dador
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Dador »

Honestly, do we, ordinary users, really need a report button? Personally, I think not. I visit the forum every day and almost every day I see that administrators are available (are distinguished by the color red). This forum, despite the wealth of knowledge on it, is not very large. And the truth is that 20-30 people actively participate in his life. So there's not a lot of news rotation here.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

TBH I wasn't aware that not everyone could see the report button. It's no big deal though as we have very little spam on here. The admins are on it whenever it occurs. You could also pm an admin if you see or need something.
Freddie
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Dador wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:02 am Honestly, do we, ordinary users, really need a report button? Personally, I think not. I visit the forum every day and almost every day I see that administrators are available (are distinguished by the color red). This forum, despite the wealth of knowledge on it, is not very large. And the truth is that 20-30 people actively participate in his life. So there's not a lot of news rotation here.
I'm afraid I disagree, a report button is much faster and more convenient to use, reporting by pm is time consuming and although so far spam has been few you can't count on that. I should add that the Report function is not just for spam but any problem breaking the rules.

Stuart
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

broadstairs wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:51 am
I'm afraid I disagree, a report button is much faster and more convenient to use, reporting by pm is time consuming and although so far spam has been few you can't count on that. I should add that the Report function is not just for spam but any problem breaking the rules.

Stuart

yep have to agree here to. I've been running a forum for 20 years as an owner and administrator. I couldn't do without the normal users reporting posts for me to check.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

De Hout
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by De Hout »

After a short search I found this on the phpBB forum. It's posted in 2016 though, maybe outdated.

ACP->Permissions->Forum Based Permissions->Group Forum Permissions->Choose Guest Group->Choose Forum->Advanced Permissions->Actions->"Can report posts" change to yes.

An admin should be able to change this setting.
CU1 Weather Station Website: http://www.alkmaarweer.nl
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Yeah I know how to do it - it's just a question of should I? Sounds like people are In favour so I'll do it later.

I think in the 5+ years I've been admin on here we've had less than 10 items of spam per year - and that's a generous estimate.
Freddie
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

I agree with others posting that having a generally-available 'report this post' is a good idea. I've been administering wxforum.net for 18 years, and the other admins and mods appreciate the heads-up when the occasional sketchy post appears so it can be promptly addressed.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I’m a moderator on a flight sim forum and we’ve had many spam emails relating to dating sites. The poster is immediately banned and the posts remain hidden.

I’ve seen similar posts across other flight sim sites including Lockheed-Martin. These sad people are a blight on society. :roll:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Nice to see that Report Post button is there as we have new spam and someone beat me to reporting it!

Stuart
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I am going to report this to phpBB as someone has found a way of hacking an existing account and adding Spam.
David
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

water01 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 9:49 am I am going to report this to phpBB as someone has found a way of hacking an existing account and adding Spam.
It was I who reported it. Over at our flight sim site we found existing members had had their account broken into because of a silly password. “Password” or something similar. When spam is posted by an established member we don’t ban him. We change his password forcing him to request a reset. That prevents the spammer repeating his rubbish.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

@Ray: That's a good process!
Phil Pugh
GW1100 + WH65/WH57/WH31;GW1100 + WS68/WH40A (also with HP25xx console); GW2001 WittBoy
CumulusMX V4 / CUtils V7
Raspberry Pi 5 64bit
http://goosegate.uk/
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

philpugh wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 10:50 am @Ray: That's a good process!
Cheers Phil. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I deleted that last post, and I also reset the users password as they last posted in 2011.