Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Support for the WeatherLink Console

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Support for the WeatherLink Console

Post by mcrossley »

I have recently been looking at adding support for the new Davis WeatherLink Console (WLC) in MX. That has ended.

The WLC has no local API like the WeatherLink Live, that may be added at some future date, but Davis is not even hinting they will do so.

Given that, I looked at their cloud API (MX currently uses that for the WLL device to get history and diagnostic data), they have an API call to fetch the "Current" data. Ah ha! I thought, I know the WLL uploads data once a minute (as must the WLC), and the Davis phone app and web site update once a minute (when no local Live access is available for the phone app), I assumed that the Current API call would also fetch the latest one-minute data. Not ideal, but not bad for MX's purposes.

How wrong I was, it turns out the "Current data" is subject to the same time restrictions as the archive data. It is effectively just the same as fetching the last archive record, it provides a convenient short-cut, but the data could be up to 15 minutes out of date!

So, unless you purchase an expensive Pro+ subscription there is no access to even 1-minute data from the WL Console.

Pretty poor I think, given Ecowitt, Ambient, and WeatherFlow all provide their users real "Current" data back to them for free via their cloud solutions.

I can understand the subscription for storing and retrieving the archive data, but the current data must be transient, I would think they delete periodically once it has been rolled up into archive records?

Upshot, unless you have deep pockets and can afford to buy a WLC and a WLL (or an expensive ongoing Pro+ subscription and live with the 1-minute updates), afaics the future for third party PWS software is dead for most new Davis users.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Re: Support for the WeatherLink Console

Post by ConligWX »

seems like Davis just didnt do its homework on this device before releasing it to the public. tbh you're better with a cheap tablet and a WLL than this WLC thing.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

FWIW here's my current assessment of the 6313 console, looking to be as objective as possible:

1. Overall, the 6313 is an excellent addition to the Davis range in my view and will fully meet the needs of many users, especially as successive new firmware versions progressively get released to add further new features. The fully graphic/colour display; ability to receive any combination of wireless sensor transmitters; long-term data storage; forecast download from a global model; and built-in uploads to weatherlink.com all mark a major step-change in capabilities from the previous console.

2. But it will not be suitable for all users and, in particular, is obviously not relevant to those who wish to run their own independent logging and software solutions such as CMX (since it currently has no local API). Whether or not this situation changes in the future remains to be seen, ie if a F/W version with a local API does get released. For eg CMX users who want a new Davis station then this is certainly possible, but means buying a Weatherlink Live unit or Envoy+logger instead of or as well as the 6313 console. And anyone preferring a cabled station is out of luck with the 6313 console - it is (currently) wireless-only..

3. I agree 100% that the 6313 was released prematurely and the earliest firmware versions had significant bugs, but now mostly all resolved with later firmware.

4. In my experience, the 6313 console is now operating reliably. All functions seem to be stable now and operating as expected with relatively few support calls. Not suggesting that everything in the garden is 100% rosy for every single user, but the general experience for most users seems to be pretty good.

5. Inevitably, every user has their own wishlist for new features or doing existing features differently, but equally it's difficult to keep everyone happy at the same time. But new features will continue to be added as new firmware versions are released and hopefully there might be a local API available at some future date.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
gwynethh
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: win 7

Post by gwynethh »

Will the new WeatherLink Console communicate with Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099)? Really wanting to upgrade to the new console. TIA
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

No it will only work with CumulusMX. Cumulus 1 is no longer being developed or supported in terms of fixes and bugs etc. or new facilities.
David
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

water01 wrote: Tue 17 Oct 2023 7:57 pm No it will only work with CumulusMX. Cumulus 1 is no longer being developed or supported in terms of fixes and bugs etc. or new facilities.
Actually, as Mark says in the message above, the new Davis console is not supported on CumulusMX either, since the console is missing the API needed for the function of CMX.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The next release of MX will support it, but only via a paid subscription to WeatherLink.com, and of course the update rate is limited to the subscription level.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

The next release of MX will support it,
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

p.s. I presume using something like a Davis Weatherlink Cloud station type...

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm