Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

storm rain?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Brandon
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: storm rain?

Post by Brandon »

Right, I'm not sure if there is a more up to date one, but everything in there is very straight forward. For anyone else who may want to do a similar thing, all I did was add the following to the file:

$StormRain = "<#StormRain>"; // Displays the rain total of the last rain event.
$StormRainStart = "<#StormRainStart>"; // It takes two tips of the rain bucket to begin a storm event and 24 hours without rain to end a storm event.

Brandon
duke

Post by duke »

I am more than happy to share a more up to date template based on Kevin Reeds template. There are a few tags missing and it is customized for my needs but I am sure it will do what you want. There a few descriptions missing but I am sure you can work them out. Processing/uploading similar to the instructions in Steve's link.

If you want to see the file once uploaded just add '?parse=source' to your file location.

Steve, if you want to add this to the wiki I have no objections and I assume Kevin would not either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brandon
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Brandon »

I just decided to go ahead and translate the wiki with the list of all of the webtags into a txt with all of the corresponding variable declarations. I grabbed the top couple of lines from the original txt, but the rest is right out of the wiki, so I think it should be pretty current. I did run it to make sure to works once it is uploaded ... it does work. I got rid of a few duplicates and there was one line that broke it for some reason. It was kind of a needle in a hay stack, but this line:

$IsFreezing = "<#IsFreezing>"; //Is outside temperature is at or below 0°C/32°F. 0=Above freezing, 1=Below freezing

Made the entire file not work. I found it through the process of elimination. Though, it is not apparent to my what is wrong with the line.

Anyway, this is a little broader than the Storm rain, but I figured someone besides just myself might as well get some use out of the file.

Brandon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faa440
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by faa440 »

I saw an unexpected discrepancy today on my Davis VP2 console regarding readings between "Daily Rain" and "Rain Storm" -- daily rain amount is 0.01" (or one tip) greater than rain storm. The Davis manual states that, "It takes two tips of the rain bucket to begin a storm event and 24 hours without rain to end a storm event", but this doesn't state the maximum time window within which these two tips must occur. The following are the time stamps for today's recorded precipitation:
First tip = 0440 hrs
Second tip = 0800 hrs
Third tip = 0840 hrs
Fourth tip = 0900 hrs...and so on.

It would appear that the 3 hours and 20 minutes between the first two tips were too long an interval to trigger a rain storm, but the 40 minutes between the second and third tips were short enough to trigger one.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the maximum time window between two tips that if exceeded will not trigger a rain storm. Apparently, 3:20hrs is too long but 0:40hrs is not. Thanks
Fred
Davis VP2
Hudson Ohio Conditions
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

The Davis manual is vague on this point only describing Rain Storm as
Rain Storm displays the rain total of the last rain event. It takes two tips of the rain
bucket to begin a storm event and 24 hours without rain to end a storm event.
Press RAINDAY to toggle between the daily rain total and the Rain Storm total. Rain
accumulation may be displayed as either millimeters (mm) or inches (in).
Elsewhere they define it as
"starting after the first bucket tip, and continuing until there has been no rain for 24 hours."
This second description means that the first tip is not included in the count.
I have not been able to find a description of the period between the first two tips that determines the start point. However, from memory, observations indicated that it is 3hrs.
TheBridge
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by TheBridge »

What file are these lines below added to?

$StormRain = "<#StormRain>"; // Displays the rain total of the last rain event.
$StormRainStart = "<#StormRainStart>"; // It takes two tips of the rain bucket to begin a storm event and 24 hours without rain to end a storm event.