Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Gust graph changes when connected to station

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
tomsage
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows XP

Gust graph changes when connected to station

Post by tomsage »

I have recently taken the plunge and replaced my old Fine Offset station with a Davis Vantage Vue. Everything is fine except that when Cumulus is actually on-line to the Weatherlink the gust graph 'spans' the Windspeed graph rather than sitting above it. Graphs produced from downloaded data (i.e. after a period when Cumulus has not been running) seem fine. Any ideas?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Gust graph changes when connected to station

Post by steve »

Cumulus has various settings for where it gets average speed from, have a look at those. Probably more info in the help/faq/wiki
Steve
tomsage

Post by tomsage »

I had looked through the FAQs and tried some changes with the station configuration - without success. What throws me is that there is a difference in the data interpretation depending on whether Cumumlus is working on downloaded data or is running 'live'.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That’s because the data available from the logger is not the same as the data available when running live, and Cumulus has to try to do something reasonable despite the differences.

I’m surprised that none of the wind speed settings apparently had any effect, I don’t know what to suggest as they worked OK for me when I had a Davis station. Assuming you have Cumulus set to use the average speed supplied by the station rather than having Cumulus calculate it (or even if you don’t) I can’t think how that could ever come out higher than the ‘recent max gust’ figure calculated by Cumulus (so the gust graph should always be above the speed graph, assuming you have Cumulus set to plot the recent max gust). It could of course be higher than the ‘latest’ figure due to what that represents on Davis stations, as explained in the FAQ.
Steve
tomsage

Post by tomsage »

I have un-checked 'Plot latest gust' in Configuration/Display and this seems to have pretty much solved the problem. Thanks for your help. Sorry to have been so obtuse!