Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Python script emulating vantage protocol

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
engolling
Weather Station: WH3080 + Custom Station
Operating System: Raspbian

Python script emulating vantage protocol

Post by engolling »

Hello,

I want to write a python script beeing able to send data from my self built prototype weather station to cumulus (picture in attachment).
I am measuring the following data:
  1. Temperature 2m
  2. Temperature 2m in the Sun
  3. 7 Temperatures from 1m to -1m over/under ground
  4. Pressure
  5. Humidity
  6. Wind speed
  7. Wind direction
  8. UV radiation
  9. global radiation
  10. Illuminance
  11. Percipation
  12. Snow depth
  13. Leaf wetness
  14. Particle concentration
If someone is interested in, I can post more details of the station, if I find some time.

Since the Vantage protocol is well documented I consider to implement this. After reading the documentation I saw that the LOOP packet is able to transmit data of more extra sensors then the LOOP2 packet. Is that right?

Has anyone a idea if there is a more apropriate and well documented protocol especially I have a lot of possible data to transmit.

When implementing the LOOP packet, can anyone tell me which data is not taken into account by cumulus like the alarms or the forecast icons.
I assume there is no need to implement the HILOW packed, because cumulus calculates all the data by itself.
When the script is working, I will provide it here, maybe someone can use it, too.

Hoping for a lot of feedback.

Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Python script emulating vantage protocol

Post by steve »

I can't tell you exactly which items from the LOOP packet that Cumulus 1 uses, because it doesn't handle the LOOP packets itself, the Davis DLL does it.

I could tell you exactly what items from the LOOP packet Cumulus MX uses, but I would have to extract the information into a form that I could give to you, and that is somewhat time consuming, and complicated by the fact that it extracts some values from the packets that it doesn't currently use; I would have to check each one to see if it actually uses it.

You're right that Cumulus (1 and MX) doesn't use the high/low data or anything else other than LOOP packets and archive packets. It should be reasonably obvious which items from those packets it uses given the data that it makes available. It uses the annual rain total as the increasing counter from which it calculates all the other rain totals.
Steve
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Remember that in addition to populating the LOOP/LOOP2 packets, any emulator software also presumably needs to emulate the API by which data packets are normally requested from the WL logger. This isn't necessarily difficult but would be essential if any analysis software is going to think that your emulator is a logger.

LOOP caters for all the sensors that can be attached to a wireless VP2 station. LOOP2 only services a subset of those sensors but does include more derived values such as 2min wind speed and several other analogous values that are normally calculated by the VP2 console from the raw sensor readings. Conversely, LOOP2 does not include any readings from supplementary sensors, eg 6345 transmitters.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

Hi,
This project is compatible with Cumulus by emulating a Davis VP :

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12083
Laurent

engolling

Post by engolling »

Hello,

thank you for all your replys.

@steve It's no problem, if it's very time consuming because I can write default data in fields that I do not use. Just thought maybe there is some overview I did not find.

I have already seen the weather duino project but I could not download the software without registration, but I will have a look at it.

I will keep you updated if there are news.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Not sure if this is of any use.

Have you tried looking at http://www.weewx.com/. the weather station software is written python.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

engolling

Post by engolling »

After a lot of considerations a skipped programming the python script and I'm going to implement the emulation into the arduino µC like the WeatherDuino project does.
Thank you for all your feedback.