Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Unable to start Heavyweather after install & running Cumulus

Bernard46
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Win10 Pro

Unable to start Heavyweather after install & running Cumulus

Post by Bernard46 »

I installed the latest build (1.9.1 989) of Cumulus on my Win 7 HP 64 bit system and ran it for a couple of days. Then I wanted to go back to look at Heavyweather but each time I try to start it I get a Windows message coming up which says "The application was unable to start correctly (0x00000005)" - I have used Heavyweather for over a year on this system and not had any problem using it - it also appeared to work OK immediately after I installed Cumulus, but now after a couple of reboots of the system I seem to get this message every time I try to start it. I have rebooted since the first time the message appeared but the problem continues to arise.

My La Crosse is connected via a serial port (no USB) but I did guess at the COM port in the Cumulus setup and seemed to guess right because Cumulus works fine. Other than that I can't think of anything else that could be relevant - obviously I haven't modified the Heavyweather installation or any of the Heavyweather data files. Any thoughts, apart from a Heavyweather re-install?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Unable to start Heavyweather after install & running Cum

Post by steve »

Cumulus doesn't install any files other than in its own directory, and doesn't modify the registry (the installer puts the standard uninstall information in). So it's not possible for Cumulus to have interfered with the HeavyWeather program itself. The only thing I can think of is that Cumulus set the serial port parameters such that it caused HW a problem at start up. But I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, and in any case a reboot should clear that.

Have you tried setting 'compatibility mode' on HW, or running it as administrator? I believe it's quite old technology, so it might need that.
Steve
Bernard46

Post by Bernard46 »

I've tried running it as administrator and I also tried compatibility mode (XP SP3) but it didn't make any difference. I was wondering whether it was something to do with the serial port and whether Cumulus had somehow grabbed the COM port for itself. Interestingly enough as soon as I installed Cumulus I could get Heavyweather to start but it would not display any data - I thought that was a bit strange, but now it won't even start. I guess I'll have to try an uninstall/reinstall and if that doesn't work uninstall them both and then just reinstall Heavyweather and see if that cures it.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Error 5 is "access denied" which is usually a file permissions issue.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:Error 5 is "access denied" which is usually a file permissions issue.
Yes; that's presumably why an oft-suggested solution to this on the web is to set the 'run as administrator' flag.
Steve
Bernard46

Post by Bernard46 »

Heavyweather.JPG
Well ... I'm not totally convinced. Please see the attached file for the actual message box. Usually if you get a file permission issue in Win 7 you get a different message from this.

Neither Heavyweather nor Cumulus are installed in either Program Files directories, and the user is an administrator. The Heavyweather program properties are set to run as administrator and in XP SP3 compatibility mode (neither of which were necessary before Cumulus was installed). Also, again a bit unusual, it takes a couple of seconds before this message box appears which suggests the heavyweather app starts but encounters a problem before it displays the program window.

The Heavyweather program has run flawlessly (well apart from the odd corrupt rainfall figure which is almost guaranteed with the La Crosse kit) since it was installed, which is 12 months on this machine and several years on a previous Vista system.

I'm more inclined to believe this is an issue relating to the COM port and having two applications installed accessing the same COM port. Unfortunately this rather antiquated technology is not an area I'm very familiar with but maybe you have some more insight into it than me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Error 5 is access denied, as I said usually in file system, or in the registry. It is usually quite easy to trace if you have a bit of computer knowledge and Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896645) - but don't go there if you aren't comfortable.

Cumulus does not install any low level device drivers or services, so once the application has closed (and check in the task list it really has closed not just hidden the window), the COM port should be freed up for other processes to access.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:Cumulus does not install any low level device drivers or services, so once the application has closed (and check in the task list it really has closed not just hidden the window), the COM port should be freed up for other processes to access.
Indeed. And to prove beyond doubt that it's nothing to do with Cumulus, power off your PC, start it up again, and run HW before you go anywhere near Cumulus. Just having Cumulus installed and configured for the same COM port as HW isn't relevant unless you actually run Cumulus.
Steve
Bernard46

Post by Bernard46 »

Mark, I'm very happy to use Process Monitor - I've looked at it a few times but never used it on a real problem - would you care to suggest what I should set up and do to try and track down this issue please?
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

... and having two applications installed accessing the same COM port.
Ah - Are you trying to run them both at the same time ? - That's a NO NO ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

beteljuice wrote:
... and having two applications installed accessing the same COM port.
Ah - Are you trying to run them both at the same time ? - That's a NO NO ;)
That did cross my mind but I assumed that wasn't the case. But then I assume a lot of things and am often proved wrong!
Steve
Bernard46

Post by Bernard46 »

No I'm not trying to run both Heavyweather and Cumulus at the same time. Just to prove that running both the apps togehter is not the issue I have once again restarted Win7 - neither app is in the startup list. I then start Heavyweather and up comes the 0x00000005 message after the delay i mentioned previously.

When Mark gets back online maybe he can tell me what to do and look for in Process Monitor. What's bugging me is what has changed? Certainly nothing related to COM ports - I tend to regard that whole area as antideluvian and something one touches at one's peril, so I avoid it like the plague.
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Looking at Bernard's image of his error message, it looks more like a run-time error in Heavyweather to me (0xc0000005), not 0x0000005.
Try removing and reinstalling HW.
Cheers,
Graeme.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Bernard46 wrote:Mark, I'm very happy to use Process Monitor - I've looked at it a few times but never used it on a real problem - would you care to suggest what I should set up and do to try and track down this issue please?
* Start ProcMon, and stop capture (click the magnifying glass).
* Clear the buffer (click the 'page' with the rubber over it)
* Set up a filter (click the funnel)
- add "Process name" "is" "heavy weather.exe" "include" (assuming that is executable name)
- add "Result" "contains" "denied" "include"
* Ok
* Restart capture
* launch heavy weather
* Once you get the error, stop capture in ProcMon
* You will probably have lots of access denied errors, finding the right one (it may be towards the end of the log) is the tricky bit.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

GraemeT wrote:Looking at Bernard's image of his error message, it looks more like a run-time error in Heavyweather to me (0xc0000005), not 0x0000005.
Try removing and reinstalling HW.
Graeme, could be, but often a high bit gets set in error codes for some reason unknown to me.